SLOWBRA

Need advice on an NVR for use with Hikvision DS-2CD2132 cams

After months of reading through the great posts on this forum I have decided to go with the Hikvision DS-2CD2132 dome cameras. They seem to offer a good picture for the price point. I haven't decided on the lens that would work best, but it sounds like most are happy with the fixed 2.8mm.

My setup will eventually require ~13 cameras (all domes).

This is where things start to get messy for me. I like the idea of an NVR from a plug and play standpoint especially if it has built in POE ports for at least most of the cams. My goal is to make the setup as easy as possible and have a system that can scale with me. I'd initially start with 2-4 cams and expand over time.

The Hikvision DS-7608NI-SE/8P is something I have been looking at as it can power 8 cams and will be fully functional with the cams. However, since I will eventually have 13 cams I will likely need two of these units. What do you guys recommend for situations like this? Does it make sense to get two of these units or look at something else? I am also not certain this can handle recording of all 8 cams in 3MP since it is rated at 40Mbps. Is that true? The user interface also seems easy to use from what I have seen online.

I also read the specs on a Eyesecu 32-channel NVR that has 8-POE and input of 80 Mbps. On paper it seems to me this would fit my needs better (1 unit instead of 2 units to support 13 cams and better input rating) but I can't find any reviews on it online. Anyone have feedback or advice on this unit? I want to ensure it would work with the cams without any loss of functionally and be reliable.

I am not against building a PC to work for my application, but that would take a bit more time to setup and I am not convinced it would be cost effective Since I have a budget of 3K for the entire setup.

I look forward to hearing from the experienced people on here and contributing as I go through my experiences of setting up a new system in the near future.

Thanks,

Shawn

This falls within your budget, and also has 16 POE ports. Something to consider

http://www.costco.com/Swann-16-Channel-HD-NVR-Security-System-with-3TB-HDD%2c-6-1080p-Cameras-and-2-Vari-Focal-Cameras.product.100070310.html

I wouldn't recommend a dahua NVR for hik cameras. They may come up but you'll likely have to settle for 24/7 recording, not motion recording. If that 32 channel is something you want, get dahua cameras for compatability.

What about the Hikvision DS-9632NI-ST? It is a 32-channel NVR.

I have the DS-7608NI-SE/8P with 4 cameras currently hooked up to it for a month now and I don't have any complaints but then I don't know better at this point either!

I don't necessarily need a 32-channel. A 16-channel with at least 8POE built in would do me fine. I can't see any built in POE ports on the 9632 you referenced (maybe I missed it) and it looks to be over $1800. Since my cams will run ~$2400 I need to stay under $800 for the NVR.

I was considering the same NVR you have. It was first on my list, but it looks like I will need two of them to support my setup. Do people recommend going this route vs finding a 16-channel?

Are you recording all 4cams with 3MP?

I wouldn't recommend a dahua NVR for hik cameras. They may come up but you'll likely have to settle for 24/7 recording, not motion recording. If that 32 channel is something you want, get dahua cameras for compatability.

The Costco setup would be great if it came with dome cameras. Bullets are a no go so unfortunately I have to consider something else.

Do you know what NVR is sold with the Swann kit and if it is sold separately? 16POE ports would be great!

Like you said, I really don't want to mix brands as I am afraid certain things won't work. The specs on the Eyesecu is what drew me too it and the price is where I need to be. I wish Hikvision had a 16-ch with at least 8 built in POE's for around the $600-$800 without a hard drive. Does something like this exist?

Edited by Guest

I couldn't find any built-in POE ports on the 9632 or 9616 units. I also think the pricing on these will break my budget for the system. Is what I need from an NVR impossible for under $800?

http://www.costco.com/Swann-16-Channel-HD-NVR-Security-System-with-3TB-HDD%2c-6-1080p-Cameras-and-2-Vari-Focal-Cameras.product.100070310.html

Does anyone know if I can add any Hikvision camera to the Costco system?

Yes, it is a re-badged Hikvision system.

Yes, it is a re-badged Hikvision system.

Thanks. I gave up trying to find an NVR that had similar specs to the Swann unit for under $1k. As much as my wife and I dislike the look of the bullet cams, the $2500 Swann deal at Costco is hard to pass up.

The 6 regular bullet cams are very small in that package, the other two are about twice the size.

The 2 larger varifocals include the ability to store the videos locally to a uSD card too, for redundancy too, which is really nice.

You don't have to use this feature.

The 6 regular bullet cams are very small in that package, the other two are about twice the size.

The 2 larger varifocals include the ability to store the videos locally to a uSD card too, for redundancy too, which is really nice.

You don't have to use this feature.

Yes, the small size certainly helps make the case even stronger. I didn't realize the varifocals can record locally. Thanks for the heads up.

the nvr that comes with the Costco kit is a nvr8-7200

No, this one comes with the NVR16-7200.

Any idea what the warranty is on these? I couldn't find that anywhere on the Swann or Costco site.

In my experience with domes, they're just more pissy than bullets. Even eyeball domes are better than domes. Domes can be a pain. IR in a dome isn't ideal. They can leak. They can fog up. They can be a pain to aim. They can skew an image because of the dome itself. They're just more...pissy. I like the look of bullets and they're just easier to work with and seem to have less problems in the long run. Maybe it's because they're just better sealed and we can't get in there to screw things up either. I like eyeball domes because of their sealed nature too. And I do like domes and I understand why they would be preferred in many situations. But ime, bullets have been better performers. That, and eyeball domes.

I ordered the Swann 16 channel with 6-1080p and 2-1080p varifocal cam system a few moments ago. Should be here next week. I'll provide as much of a review as possible when it comes in and gets installed.

I am ok with the bullet cams as most are very tiny. For a beginner, I think this system will meet all of my needs and be easy to install.

I prewired my home with Cat5e in the locations where I wanted cams. Now I need to decide the best place to put the 2 varifocal cams on my home. Any suggestions?

Well congrats! I look so forward to your thoughts and review of that system. Once it's set up, an in depth review of the nvr itself, the web app and/or remote software would be great. Very little info is out here about that stuff. Tons of info about the cameras- very little else. It's hard to say where you should put the vari focals without knowing your situation and what you need to cover. Usually they come in handy for a closer look at a target area than the fixed cameras can give you. They are also handy if you're forced to install a camera in a spot that isn't ideal because of wiring- such as higher up. Being able to zoom it tighter to make up the difference can be useful. Btw- the 3TB hard drive included is excellent too. Overall, I still think it's a great package. Good luck!