Sign in to follow this  
erikdv

Camera for web viewing

I have a client that is building a apartment complex and wants to post a live view of it being built on his website. Any recommendations on what camera/brand to use for this to make it fairly simple for his website programmer? There isn't a a computer running on site all the time so I can't use that method. It would need to be connected directly to the internet and a live feed to the site. Cost isn't not really an issue although a 2MP will be fine. Thanks!

I have a client that is building a apartment complex and wants to post a live view of it being built on his website. Any recommendations on what camera/brand to use for this to make it fairly simple for his website programmer? There isn't a a computer running on site all the time so I can't use that method. It would need to be connected directly to the internet and a live feed to the site. Cost isn't not really an issue although a 2MP will be fine. Thanks!

hi. much easier to set up a 24hr time laps from say 10 images a day

I would go for an IP camera that supports geting a JPEG snapshot from an URL. Then just set up some cron job on the web server that will get the image every x seconds/minutes, and have the web page reload the image also every now and then if needed.

I've used the program listed below to get time lapse video directly from my Axis camera. Works very well. The trial version has some limitations but enough to see if it works with your particular camera and produce some files. I believe the trial is limited to non-HD and one frame per 20 seconds. This gives you about a whole day's with of video in a minute or so ... pretty cool!

http://www.candylabs.com/videovelocity

Thanks all.

I am thinking he is after the live view feature. They showed me this site http://residential.tsawwassensprings.ca/live-cam-at-tsawwassen-springs/ . It loads an activex or something similar the first time it is viewed. From what i can see in the coding is they are using a Axis Cam. I bought a AXIS M2014-E but it won't work as it comes in two parts (pre-configured cord is to short).

So I'm no help, I just wanted to say thanks for the lead on time lapse software as I've been wanting to do some of those for my cameras at different locations, and for our construction projects.

Any other solutions that are nice out there for this?

To the op, I thought there were a few people on here who have done what you're looking for. I remember seeing these most commonly as something like surf cameras, beach cams, and the like. It's possible, I was thinking that Axis had a plugin for this but I could well be wrong.

If you want to do real-time timelapse, Blue Iris does a very nice job of that. Here's 24 hours from a Vivotek IP8332 compressed to 72 seconds:

My wife was disgusted by all the snail activity around the big iris by the driveway. I like to use these captures now and again just to see the flow around the neighborhood.

The plus of this is the low frame rate doesn't put a lot of CPU load, which BI does at normal frame rates, so you can use an old system for capturing this.

If you want to edit existing footage into timelapse, I haven't done that, but I know there's a variety of software for it.

I contacted one of our suppliers today. He recommended ACTI so I will be giving them a call tomorrow and post here if I find fairly simple way to do it. In the Megapixel basics sticky there is some links to how to do it but I was hoping it would a little easier.

The only network cameras that I know of that can stream to a website are some of the Canon cameras. ACTi makes good cameras, but it's RTSP as most network cameras are and HTML does not recognize that as a valid protocol, so you need software to convert RTSP to RTMP. I did an article on it on my blog called "embedding network camera video on a website". It's not that hard to do and just about any network camera will do. The software I recommend is free for up to 5 cameras and 15 concurrent users, so it should be fine for your use.

If you want to go the still picture route, Axis or ACTi cameras can FTP to a fixed name on a schedule. Then you just point your browser to that jpg.

If the scene is stagnant then stills are fine, if the scene is dynamic, people working on the project, cars, people moving about, then embedded video is the way to go. Just make sure you have the bandwidth to support what you want to do. 1MP is overkill for this so don't worry about resolution.