smarty

Geovision & Home Automation Thread #2

Geovision automation question:

I have a Geo 1240 card in a HP computer with only 3 PCI slots. The slots are now filled (Geo board, Video Card, and cheap PCI modem).

I want to have the Geo-1240 control exterior flood lights based on camera motion etc. I guess I will need a Geo I/O box (external ??) and an external Geo RELAY box.

The hard part is that my damn (new) computer does NOT have a serial port output. And, internal mounting of another card would be tight (I could throw out the internal modem and use an external).

Would a USB to serial converter feed the external Geo I/O box? This box then controls the external relay box (right?). Please advise.

Can you free up a slot by switching to an AGP Vid card or is it an older mother board?

Definately an external modem would help...

It is a BRAND NEW board. It only had 3 slots for expansion (all PCI). It has a lot of USB (2.0), fire wire and other connection options (I guess serial ports are kinda "old news" with respect to connecting periperials to computers these days).

I have no problem with getting rid of the internal modem. That would free up 1 PCI slot.

Anyway, I guess my main question is how to connect the 10 amp relay box to the PC. Using just the I/O box/card will not work for 120 VAC type devices (right???).

Do you still have expansion slots on the back of your case?? If you use a Geovision Net I/O card, you don't need an actual pci slot from your motherboard, you just need a free mounting slot on the back of your case, the Net I/O card hooks into your Geovision Capture card via a ribbon cable. If you don't have any expansion slots on the back of your pc case, then you can control the External GV-Net box with a usb to serial adapter. But then you need to also add a GV I/O since the GV-net is just a rs232 to Rs485 converter.

I have no idea how to connect it I would love for someone to explain how this get's done. We have plenty of access control jobs which make it look simple with stand alone access control devices.

Where can I get the ribbon cable if my GV-!) and Relay didn't come with it?

Thanks for any input!

Happy New Year!

ADAM!