Sign in to follow this  
marc.knuckle

Strange Ip camera issue and advice on new set up

Hi guys, i only just realised it would be best to post on a specific cctv forum rather than a computer forum i'm currently a member of so forgive the copy and paste of the query i posted there that you'll find below. second, i'm leaning further towards replacing the camera and gettinga non ip camera that would usally come with a dvr but was hoping i could instead utilise the small pc under the tv but it isnt one that can be opened up and additional cards added so didnt know whether any cameras just connect via USB? please see the details below.....

Hi guys.

i'm experiencing an issue that has stumped me, the IP camera's manufacturer, sky helpdesk and so far 2 people on a networking forum.

up until monday when i switched to sky fibre and thus received a sky hub, connected via an openreach modem if that matters, i had the ip camera set up on my home network while using a Be broadband router. it has worked fine for over 12 months even though i had a bit of messing to set it up at first.

here is the issue. not including the many efforts before resetting the camera (as that would have only been adding to the issue as well) i cant get it to be accessible by all the needed channels i want only some.

before, i could type in the local IP and access it from my home pcs ie 192.168.x.x. i could access it via the android phone using a 3g data plan (ie external connection) using the external address, i think it was 78.xxx.x.x or something like that. i could access it through the eyespy247 website that i had an account on and the camera linked to (accessing the website internally and externally) and lastly i could access it from the android app whether on the internal network via smartphone connected through wifi or external again through 3g plan. this worked on both wired and then when i changed the camera to wireless-n.

now, after much fiddling and resetting of the camera, while wired i got it so all those channels worked, all be it the android app wouldnt access it on both internal and external unless i set up 2 seperate cameras (the same 1 both times but 1 with internal ip address in settings and the other with external).

as soon as i set it to wireless (which i have done many times before, i followed the youtube video method from eyespy247 to the letter and i even followed the eyepsy247 support emails to fully confirm i was doing correctly), no good. what works is the android app still works with the 2 camera method thus confirming the camera was working successfully on wireless. i can access it via my android phones browser using either wifi and 3g thus proving it is working internally correctly not just externally.

however, if i try to access it from either home pc (i have 2, both wired) neither can access it via the internal ip 192.168.x.x and the video recording software that comes with it and also uses the internal address cant access it either.

the only conclusions i can come to are -

the camera works, and is fine working wirelessly

the internal ip address is fine as confirmed by the smartphone being able to still access it either through chrome browser or the android app

the ethernet cables from the pcs to router are fine as when the camera is also cabled, they all play nice

wireless camera to wifi smartphone (both then being on internal network) play nice

wireless camera to wired pcs (both then being on internal network) dont play nice.

hardware and software info -

both pcs and the smartphone used with chrome browser

smartphone running android 4.3, pcs using windows 7

camera itself is eyespy247 ext+

sky fibre hub, connected to openreach modem

i'm lost but hopefully the above will at least clarify what is happening even though it might not convey my level of frustration i'm currently feeling.

hopefully someone can help as otherwise i am going to replace a very expensive IP camera for a cheap non ip one and accept the loss of over £200 paid only 12-18 months ago.

thanks guys, marc ......

i use chrome but thats the same one as used on my smartphone.

it isnt connected to a dvr, it came with software that ran on windows to configure it, then software for dvr-like recording, vitamin D that runs on the pc.