Sign in to follow this  
smcctv

CAT 5e external cable - Best way to fix to brick work

Hi all,

I am running 7 - 10 CAT 5E external cable on a large building. Would you advise that i also run trunking?

or should the extra shield be good enough for the 4 weathers in a single day, we get in the UK.

Would you use a single large clip to hold all the cables together?

Hope to hear from the experts soon!!!

Many Thanks

Vic

USE A HAMMER !

In all seriousness. If your cables leave the property on the ground floor or withing reach from a person on the ground, you should start with a junction box (a 1 way conduit box) and run conduit up the wall until first floor window cill level of slightly lower. There you can radiate to the cameras using the brick joints as a line to follow and they are then able to take masonry nails and cable clips. If you have a bundle of cables i.e. more than 2 then run either 20mm black conduit or 25mm black conduit. (Unless the walls are rendered and painted white then use white conduit for appearance sake.)

234225_1.1234225_2.1234225_3.1

Hi All,

Many thanks for your replies, been really helpfull.

The cables will be running outside the property starting off around 7ft high, so im going to use a A1 terminal box and run conduit till i reach around 14ft high. The cabling i am using is CAT 5e outdoor cable, so will run x11 cables to there destinations each terminating in its ip66 box.

Can get messy running soo many cables at times

Thanks

Vic

With regards to cable clips with masonry nails, nailed direct into mortar,

this isn't always easy especially if the mortar is old or crumbling. Sometimes if the mortar is over hard,

your masonry nails will bend so it's a minefield. I have in some really annoying circumstances had to

drill every hole, inserting a pin-plug and fixing to that. Fine if you have just one or two cables.

And for your trouble at the end of it all your fingers will be throbbing after several clouts with a hammer.....(((((((((((( ! )))))))))))

Welcome to the REAL World...

I have the exact problem, every job we carry out has its challenges and nothing is straight forward. Adds to the excitement i guess.....

Not used a pin plug before, will have a browse for them.

Thanks mate