Sign in to follow this  
cctvloko

Coaxial vs Balun + UTP

Hello , I write from Spain , I read a lot on this forum and there is a high level of knowledge. I have a small business video surveillance and alarm system , usually installed CCTV Kits DVR and IP cameras .

Now I have a big project , it's enlarge 3 speed dome cameras specifically a Panasonic WV- CW590 . The system is not a regular DVR , is a system of Pelco video matrix 9760 . The distances between the system and the cameras are 200 meters or so, the environment is much machinery , is a factory.

I think the most appropriate would be to use CAT6 UTP cable and baluns , for the same cable carrying the PTZ control RS 422. But system that already has 8 cameras in his day and made ​​a major security company quee see the coaxial cable is used .

So I have a doubt that cable type you would use in this case ?

Normally for small installations + use UTP balun , but it is possible that more serious installations using coaxial for some reason ? ?

Thank you very much in advance

Greetings .

If you are running free air run a coax for video as well as the cat6 for control. I have had issues with cat6 and baluns when running near high voltage such as in a factory. If it's in pipe then I wouldn't worry about it and just pull the cat6.

I would say go with RG59 as it is shielded against the low level EMF fields, don't go RG6. CAT6 and baluns sounds like you will have a problem with interference. Also CAT5 is more then good enough, no reason to use CAT6.