ForceF3D

Prototyping a New Setup

Hi All,

I am finally about to bite the bullet and purchase an IP Camera and POE Switch. I am initially looking at a 1 camera setup to prototype and play with. If I like what I see i'll jump in and buy more camera's.

I'm in Australia, and you wouldn't believe how high some of the prices over here are for IP Cameras. As a result, its hard to find someone with a setup in action that I can have a look at too judge the quality. This is why i'm starting with just one camera.

I'm trying to stick to around $200 for a camera, I have spent a long time digging through a lot of information and I have the following ...

Camera= Hikvision DS-2CD2732F-I , US$200 ($212 AUD), http://www.hikvision.com/en/products_show.asp?id=8724

POE Switch = edimax gs 1008p, US$178 ($189 AUD), http://www.edimax.com/au/produce_detail.php?pd_id=448&pl1_id=10&pl2_id=39

I'm hoping to initially have the camera FTP files to a computer on the network. Any input/advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

You might want to start with some free/cheap NVR software first to get things up and recording (and displaying) and then fiddle with the FTP. For my uses, I see FTP or NAS storage dumped from the cameras as a secondary level of storage for backup/security reasons and the NVR software as my primary record and daily reviewing tool.

Good Idea. Might have a go at the 'Milestone XProtect Go' software, as it seems to be popular. Unless there is a better option?

Are the camera and switch reasonable?

Thinking of buying camera from here --> http://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/HIKVISION-30-meters-1080P-IR-dome-network-cameras-support-POE-DS-2CD2732F-I/420258_1077716612.html

What do people generally do when paying for shipping. Is it fine to use the 'China Post Mail' ($13).

That's a good camera, have not seen the switch before but specs look fine. There's other free software, up to you how much time you want to spend testing but Zoneminder and iSpyConnect are two free open source products. There's Axxonsoft, free for 16 cameras but have not been able to get it to work for me. iVMS NVR from Hikvision is free, again not easy to setup recording.

The trick with China is to pay for upgraded express shipping like DHL or FedEx or you may way a long time. Sometimes you get lucky with free or lower priced shipping, but I've waited 2 weeks once and 2 months once, so hit and miss. DHL or FedEx rarely goes beyond a few days. At least you are closer to China than I am and it's all downhill, LOL.

I use this switch.... Granted I don't have as many cameras, but still... much cheaper even if you had to buy two.

http://www.amazon.com/TP-LINK-TL-SF1008P-100Mbps-Desktop-802-3af/dp/B003CFATT2/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1383991845&sr=8-2&keywords=poe+switch

I did see that switch, it may be good for a short term prototype - and I may consider buying it . However, it's not a gigabit switch and I may end up running more than 4 cameras, which means i'll need to daisy chain two switches together - to then connect to a computer/nas.

Are gigabit switches required, or can you get away with a 100mbps?

There's a version of that TP-Link switch that does gigabit, click the "10/100/1000M Port" in the Capacity section on Amazon to see that one, reasonably priced too. There's also an 8 port version with all 8 ports POE.

I'm running two of these at my crib:

https://trendnet.com/langen/products/proddetail.asp?prod=100_TPE-S44

Not gigabit but reasonably priced and they've been rock solid for well over a year, one of them in the tack room of my barn that gets very hot in the summer.

Depends on your security and bandwidth needs if you should go gigabit. If you had 4 of those cams maxed out I think you'd be at 64mbps, still under the 100mbps threshold, but keep in mind your other networking needs. If I were setting up a new system with 3meg+ cams and had the few extra bucks to splurge I'd certainly go for a gigabit switch just to be safe. For just testing a setup or a few cams though you should be fine with 100mbps.

Had a few of those, hated them. I would plug in 4 cameras and overload the switch because it's 30W max at the switch which really means about 24W at the camera. I believe the HIkvision cameras are like 7.5W with IR on. Also didn't like the brick transformer. For slightly more get the ZyXel ES1100-8P or if you want more, the ES1100-16P. I use both, the ZyXel is full power on every PoE port and also have the Trendnet but only can safely put 3 cameras on it.

The TP-Link 8 port 10/100/1000M looks good, its roughly the same price ($179 AUD) as the edimax gs 1008p. However, the edimax is fanless and has 145W power budget, 21W more than the TP-Link.

The ZyXel ES1100-8P is fanless, but looks to be 10/100 and only has a power budget of 64W. (Datasheet --> ftp://ftp2.zyxel.com/ES1100-8P/datasheet/ES1100-8P_5.pdf)

The Hikvision camera im looking at is 802.3af which i'm lead to believe is 15.4W for a single port.

Could I just hook up the camera temporarily to an old 12v laptop adapter I have laying around?

Or do I need to be careful just plugging in any old 12v adapter?

Edit: Interestingly the Hikvision DS-2CD2132-I, the smaller brother of the DS-2CD2732F-I has longer IR distance. It looks like they share the same sensor. The DS-2CD2132-I only has 2-way adjustable axis, fixed lense, no SD card, and missing some alarm features ...but is $70 less Thoughts between the two anyone?

Just having a read through some reviews, it appears that the DS-2CD2132-I might have some light bleeding issues with the 2.8mm lens (which is what i'd be after). Might have to give that one a miss if that is the case, and stick with the DS-2CD2732F-I.

Is your next review on the DS-2CD2732F buell?

Will have the review soon. I'm in training all week and just need an hour to proof read, hopefully tonight.

The ZyXel is full power on every PoE port (15.4w), so when you see 64W total, that means 4 ports are full power. When they say 8 port PoE switch, many times it means half the ports are PoE. So if you need 8 PoE ports, get the 16 port model.

I come from the land down under....

Best bang for buck switch in Aus i've found is the TP-LINK TL-SG1008P 8-port POE Gigabit Switch.

I've sold many and have only returned 1. Its PoE on 4 ports. If you want more PoE then move to the Dlink 10 port or Zyxel 8 Port.

As for cameras, the Hikvisions work well.

I like the 2012 / 2032 bullets, (1.3mp / 3mp) but if you want more even spread and dont want bleed on the IR go the 2312 / 2332 (1.3mp / 3mp)

Im not a fan of any IR dome as most tend to bleed in the end. ive had the 2132 on my driveway for a few weeks and the halo is there but its not a deal breaker. (if it were an avigilon camera it wouldve been sent back)

Pricing in aus is more than online but if you want pricing just pm me. i do 5% discount for anyone on the forums. it might not be much but it helps...

@skomo , what size lens are you using on your 2132 in your driveway?

From the pictures I've seen, using the 2.8mm lens shows quite a distinct halo...

@skomo , what size lens are you using on your 2132 in your driveway?

From the pictures I've seen, using the 2.8mm lens shows quite a distinct halo...

2.8mm...

here is a pic. Im running Avigilon v5.

The only other brand i know of in Aus that is cheaper than hikvision is dahua. i could find my pricelist if needed.

12656091_2132small.jpg.57050938a88dff6256a6c07bcfbec426.jpg

the 2032 bullet was much better at night.

here it is....

this is why i generally don't recommend domes with internal IR.

but then sometimes you just have to bite the bullet if there is no other option or the budget doesn't allow it.

Im a fan of the 2332/2312 with the external IR, but yet to see the 2232 and 2212

ill see if i can get pics.

1289840117_2032-2small.jpg.5636093050a5ee6c2d7a3151c218e2e6.jpg

Thanks skomo, pics were helpful.

Nice review on the 2cd2732f buell. I'm surprised not to see any IR bleed on that camera.

Thanks. Yes, zero IR light bleed, but it's a larger dome which allows better spacing of LEDs. I have not tested the equivalent bullet yet, but the difference won't be as dramatic as the 2032 to the 2732.

Locked in the DS-2CD2732F-IS. Its coming from China to Aus, I cheaped out on the shipping so its going to be a while.... I'm not in a particular hurry

China Post to the U.S usually takes about a month on average although I've gotten stuff in 2 weeks and 2 months. I always use FedEx or DHL, I just don't have the same patience you do, LOL.

Had a few of those, hated them. I would plug in 4 cameras and overload the switch because it's 30W max at the switch which really means about 24W at the camera. I believe the HIkvision cameras are like 7.5W with IR on. Also didn't like the brick transformer. For slightly more get the ZyXel ES1100-8P or if you want more, the ES1100-16P. I use both, the ZyXel is full power on every PoE port and also have the Trendnet but only can safely put 3 cameras on it.

Are you referring to the Trendnet POE switch I linked? Assuming so but wanted to be sure. I haven't yet plugged in all 4 ports (3 active on each swtich at the moment) so am now worried I'm going to blow it out when I get cams 7 and 8 on there!

**Edit** Never mind, just re-read and saw your reference to the Trendnet product. I think Santa is going to bring me a ZyXel for Christmas.

Yes, with the Trendnet, you have 7.5W camera if you have 4 cameras (30/4). But that's at the switch, in reality, the spec is about a 16% maximum loss from switch to camera, meaning 6.3W is what every camera is guaranteed, but the Hikvision specs say the cameras consumes 7W with IR on but may work if your cables are short enough. I had 3 Trendnet switches, 2-3 cameras each because of problems I had when I put 4 cameras on them. Lucky I got rid of them on eBay for $25 each, LOL. We still have one powering 2 Mobotix cameras but they only need 4.5W because they don't have IR LEDs, been running since 2009, no problems.

Now I grew to 8 cameras and I reached the max the ZyXel 16 port switch can do at 100Mbps, so that could be the next hurdle you reach. Honestly, with 3MP cameras, I hit that limit with 6 cameras. So looking at the next level up PoE switch from ZyXel with a gigabit uplink. I have a source for them at a very low price. If interested, let me know but I'll have more info in a week or so if it's real or not.

Ordered on the 14th November, received on the 7th December - using China standard post (~20days).

Whilst I'm waiting for my POE router (which after deciding on a model I forget to order) I was thinking about testing out the camera with a power adapter.

I have a 12VDC 1A, (240AC 50hz, 140mA) power adapter for an old netgear router. Am i able to use this to give the camera a quick test to see if it works? ... or do I risk overpowering/underpowering and destroying the camera?

That 12W PS should work fine. 2 things to watch for:

- The plug needs to be 2.1x5.5mm

- Positive needs to be on the right connector. I believe the center is positive, but you'd want to verify that.

I use these connectors for quick tests and simple hacks:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/5-Pairs-2-1mm-x-5-5mm-Female-Male-CCTV-DC-Power-Plug-Jack-Adapter-connector-/271340939179?pt=US_Surveillance_Cables_Adapters_Connectors&hash=item3f2d2e27ab#ht_1279wt_896