Sign in to follow this  
ramcewan

Optex LX-402 Mounting Height?

I have a pair of Optex LX-402 PIR sensors I am planning to add to my Q-see system. I've read the instructions and they indicate an 8.3ft (2.5m) mounting height as maximum.

My home is a saltbox so in the back the roof comes down all the way to the first floor and I can mount the PIR under the eave and stay right at the top of that mounting height.

On the front though the eaves are two stories up which leads me to my question, can I still mount the PIR under the eaves but pointing more down? Or do I have to find a place lower down on the house to mount it which is going to be a problem.

So can I mount the PIR up higher but angled down? it has a 40 feet range normally I imagine if I angled it down it would be a shorter range but it should still throw out a plane of detection area even if mounted higher up, right?

Thanks - hoping to work this out instead of having to send these back and live with the crappy motion detection in the cameras.

P.S. this is an example of a saltbox, we have a camera in the front under the eave aimed towards the door and walkway covering the approach to the front door. I'd like to be able to put the PIR under the eave too.

235128_1.jpg

I have a pair of Optex LX-402 PIR sensors I am planning to add to my Q-see system. I've read the instructions and they indicate an 8.3ft (2.5m) mounting height as maximum.

My home is a saltbox so in the back the roof comes down all the way to the first floor and I can mount the PIR under the eave and stay right at the top of that mounting height.

On the front though the eaves are two stories up which leads me to my question, can I still mount the PIR under the eaves but pointing more down? Or do I have to find a place lower down on the house to mount it which is going to be a problem.

So can I mount the PIR up higher but angled down? it has a 40 feet range normally I imagine if I angled it down it would be a shorter range but it should still throw out a plane of detection area even if mounted higher up, right?

Thanks - hoping to work this out instead of having to send these back and live with the crappy motion detection in the cameras.

P.S. this is an example of a saltbox, we have a camera in the front under the eave aimed towards the door and walkway covering the approach to the front door. I'd like to be able to put the PIR under the eave too.

235128_1.jpg

I have come across PIRs mounted in all sorts of weird configurations - some work & some don't. These are adaptive installations as the PIRs are not designed to be used in such ways. You could try mounting one towards the end of the house looking back at the door & use a "curtain lens"