kaboose786

How fast of an internet required?

Hey everyone i am planning to buy this: http://www.lorextechnology.com/HD-security-camera-system/IP-security-camera-system-with-1080p-cameras/prod420042.p for my frozen yogurt store here in canada. I was wondering how fast of an internet connection i need for that kind of HD IP camera? I heard it takes a lot of bandwidth so i dont wanna have any lag when i watching my store at home.

thx

Hey everyone i am planning to buy this: http://www.lorextechnology.com/HD-security-camera-system/IP-security-camera-system-with-1080p-cameras/prod420042.p for my frozen yogurt store here in canada. I was wondering how fast of an internet connection i need for that kind of HD IP camera? I heard it takes a lot of bandwidth so i dont wanna have any lag when i watching my store at home.

thx

I stream my cameras from outside my home at 800x600@15fps and use ~300-400kbps (h264 compression). Looks great. I can also go 720p at just over 1Mbps. I've even got some 320x240 streams that go as low as 20-40kbps at 5fps! I use this for my phone/laptop when at WiFi hotspots.

Also keep in mind that the slowest connection speed will be the UPLOAD from the store. For most people this can range from 256k to 4M.

For one camera, figure 4-5Mbps upload speed required at your store and of course at least the same download sped at home. There will be latency depending on route and other traffic in your home, in the store.

I have a 3MP camera but 15fps, so slightly less demand than 1080P at 30fps, and I have 4Mbps upload speed with Charter at our lake house and I get fairly smooth video from our house with 12Mbps download speed but not perfect but can see people water skiing, boats passing by occasionally there are points where video freezes but not often.

If you have DSL then you are out of luck because it maxes out at .75Mbps.

Also, if you can increase the i-frame setting for your internet stream, your bandwidth will be lower, but you're more prone to ghosting or distortion from dropped frames.

There are many Bandwidth calculators available on internert . search for "HD camera bandwidth calculators" or Try this one .

http://www.stardot.com/bandwidth-and-storage-calculator

as For you need , 1 of this camera at 15 FPS will consume 4.1 Mbps. you need an internet connection of 4.1 Mbps or Above . normally it would be available as 6Mbps.

thx for replying.

But that camera says "30 fps real time recording" so why are you saying 15 fps? what does it mean by real time recording?

the internet of 4.1 Mbps that u mentioned is that download or upload?

I am planning to buy this internet package: http://img546.imageshack.us/img546/1950/7owh.jpg

As you can see download is 30 Mbps and upload is 5 Mbps

and one more suggestion , use RG6 cable with HD camera's , dont use RG59 cable that is commonly applied to CCTV systems.

what is the reason of this?

thx

I stream my cameras from outside my home at 800x600@15fps and use ~300-400kbps (h264 compression). Looks great. I can also go 720p at just over 1Mbps. I've even got some 320x240 streams that go as low as 20-40kbps at 5fps! I use this for my phone/laptop when at WiFi hotspots.

Also keep in mind that the slowest connection speed will be the UPLOAD from the store. For most people this can range from 256k to 4M.

@BOLD so how many cameras do you have? so at that resolution u use 300-400 kbps ? is that upload or download? and this is for ip cameras right?

Also u said u got 320x240 so if i have HD camera can i make it stream for lower resolution like would it have this option ?

For one camera, figure 4-5Mbps upload speed required at your store and of course at least the same download sped at home. There will be latency depending on route and other traffic in your home, in the store.

I have a 3MP camera but 15fps, so slightly less demand than 1080P at 30fps, and I have 4Mbps upload speed with Charter at our lake house and I get fairly smooth video from our house with 12Mbps download speed but not perfect but can see people water skiing, boats passing by occasionally there are points where video freezes but not often.

Its definitely not DSL. it is cable internet.

So according to you 1080p at 30 fps might be too much if the listed upload speed for Rogers plan that i am getting is only 5Mbps? So do u just have 1 camera?

So according to you 1080p at 30 fps might be too much if the listed upload speed for Rogers plan that i am getting is only 5Mbps? So do u just have 1 camera?

Are u using Rogers cable internet plan or Rogers stick ?

Where are u in Canada ?

I am in Alberta

Are u using Rogers cable internet plan or Rogers stick ?

Where are u in Canada ?

I am in Alberta

I'll be using Rogers cable internet. Currently i am in Alberta but soon ill move to Toronto and my new shop will be in Toronto.

I am just confused if this internet will be fast enough for 1080p if not i might go with lower end cctv system

I'll be using Rogers cable internet. Currently i am in Alberta but soon ill move to Toronto and my new shop will be in Toronto.

I am just confused if this internet will be fast enough for 1080p if not i might go with lower end cctv system

Just because you have 1080p camera doesn't mean you're stuck with this resolution for all your needs. For example with my cameras (Axis), I record all my video in 720p @ 30fps, but have multiple viewing streams I use at various (lower) resolutions/fps and compresion values depending on my location and situation. Bottom line is, a good quality and well designed camera can provide you with plenty of flexibility to meet you needs.

so how many cameras do you have? so at that resolution u use 300-400 kbps ? is that upload or download? and this is for ip cameras right?

Also u said u got 320x240 so if i have HD camera can i make it stream for lower resolution like would it have this option ?

The 300-400 kbps is upload from single camera. If I'm viewing 3 cameras on my monitor with same settings, the total download will be 3x 300-400 kbps ... and yes, a well designed IP camera would allow you to stream/record at mutiple different resolutions and other settings you choose.

This is a setting, you can go lower bit rate and compromise some quality. I have multiple cameras, but only look at one at a time.

How do i knw if a NVR is capable of recording at lower resolution? is that what it means by hybrid? like this: http://www.costco.ca/Samsung%C2%AE-8-channel-HD-Hybrid-DVR-Security-System.product.100087052.html. Or do i need to go with HD-SDI system?

Ye but if i go lower bit rate than what is the point of buying HD camera? I wanna be able to watch HD stream when i am at home. And according to u guys i cant do that if my internet listed upload speed is only 5 Mbps?

What is the big difference between NVR and DVR? why should i go with a NVR? just because its a latest technology? What are the benefits?

Lastly what time of audio recording u guys suggest? I am planning to put a microphone about the cash register so how good is something like this: http://www.aartech.ca/cctv-mmic-cctv-audio-microphone.html. Is there a better option than this? I dont wanna buy something too expensive.

Bit rate does not anything to do with resolution, it's a compression setting. The more compression, less bandwidth used, but lower the quality, resolution remains the same.

You do realize that it's analog cameras, not 1080P at all, cameras are 800TVL. The DVR is 1080P, not the cameras. You would get more help on the analog camera category of this forum.

Yes, a microphone like that should work.

Bottom line.... 5Mbps is more than enough to stream high quality HD video to your home. Feel you need more for some reason? Just to let you know Rogers ISP offers up to 250Mbps upload speeds. Problem solved.

But you have to ask yourself: "Am I going to sit at home 9:00am to 9:00pm continuously watching my staff on all cameras?" Of course not! What you want to do is continuously record your video on all your multiple cameras to a locked-up NVR on your local network in the store. This can be done on all cameras at max HD resolution/fps and low compression ... and at no ISP cost. You can always look back through your recording to check things out - especially if there was an event. Just setup a stream of your most important camera with audio (cash register) to watch at home whenever you like. You can always select between camera views.

Bottom line.... 5Mbps is more than enough to stream high quality HD video to your home. Feel you need more for some reason? Just to let you know Rogers ISP offers up to 250Mbps upload speeds. Problem solved.

But you have to ask yourself: "Am I going to sit at home 9:00am to 9:00pm continuously watching my staff on all cameras?" Of course not! What you want to do is continuously record your video on all your multiple cameras to a locked-up NVR on your local network in the store. This can be done on all cameras at max HD resolution/fps and low compression ... and at no ISP cost. You can always look back through your recording to check things out - especially if there was an event. Just setup a stream of your most important camera with audio (cash register) to watch at home whenever you like. You can always select between camera views.

Thanks a lot. So i decided to go with latest NVR instead of DVR and some HD camera.

Which brand do u recommend? Most people here seem to like Dahua? Is that same as Q-See here in Canada?

Also do u know what is legal implications of audio recording here in Canada?

Here is what i have understood for mic setup:

http://img20.imageshack.us/img20/2020/kc3a.jpg

The only concern is most NVR comes with one audio input so if i do the setup like i mentioned in that drawing so which camera would i be listen or recording audio with as i would have 4 different cameras

Can't speak for Canada, but in the US it's against federal wire tapping laws to record someone's voice without their knowledge. Then there's stricter state laws that vary. Indoors in the privacy of your home, it's your domain, you have more freedom. Our attorney recommends we disable microphones on our community cameras.

This may explain Canada's law, but basically mimic's U.S. law - http://legaltree.ca/node/908

As for NVR or cameras, the low end is from China, Dahua, Hikvision, good brands from China, support goes with the low price. The next step up is cameras from Taiwan, better support, good cameras, good bang for the buck from ACTi, Geovision, Messoa, Vivotek. The next step up is cameras from Europe, Canada and USA that generally cost more, so depends on your budget but if you are looking for something the in the $1,000 range for 4 cameras, you may be limited to cameras from China like Dahua or Hikvision, the only exception is Messoa has a 4 camera kit for under $1,000.

Edited by Guest

Thanks a lot. So i decided to go with latest NVR instead of DVR and some HD camera.

Which brand do u recommend? Most people here seem to like Dahua? Is that same as Q-See here in Canada?

The only concern is most NVR comes with one audio input so if i do the setup like i mentioned in that drawing so which camera would i be listen or recording audio with as i would have 4 different cameras

From what I can see, there is a reason Dahua is often a topic of conversation ... LOTS of issues/problems. Do you want to spend your time minding the store or babysitting your cameras?

From what I can see, there is a reason Dahua is often a topic of conversation ... LOTS of issues/problems. Do you want to spend your time minding the store or babysitting your cameras?

so which brand u recommend? Lorex?

I love my Axis cameras. Excellent quality, service and support....but you pay good $ for them. Range from ~$300 to $1000 each. I save by recording straight to my NAS (on-board SSD also possibly) and so do not even have an NVR. However there are MANY other great cameras available at lower cost. Everyone here would give you different opinions!

Have you checked buellwinkle's site at http://www.NetworkCameraCritic.com? It's a great place to start reading.

I love my Axis cameras. Excellent quality, service and support....but you pay good $ for them. Range from ~$300 to $1000 each. I save by recording straight to my NAS (on-board SSD also possibly) and so do not even have an NVR. However there are MANY other great cameras available at lower cost. Everyone here would give you different opinions!

Have you checked buellwinkle's site at http://www.NetworkCameraCritic.com? It's a great place to start reading.

Thx. I am reading that blog as theres tons of information their. Great reviews. Really Helpful. Problem is i need atleast 4 cameras so i dont wanna spend $300 per camera. There seems to be so many different camera brands out there. This market is definitely very saturated. Everytime i learn about a new brand. Never heard of Axis before u told me.

Quick question if i am looking for a feature where in this video:

Hes controlling the camera live like zooming in and out and even moving the camera so wht would say in the specs of the camera so it has that feature?

Ah, those are cool, they are called PTZ or speed domes. Indoor ones are slightly cheaper. You an get an inexpensive one like from Dahua for only $599 but only 3x zoom, so depends on how you will use it. The better Dahua's PTZ that are 20x zoom run about $1,000 to $1,500. ACTi runs more, about $1,600 for indoor, about $2K for outdoors. Hikvision I believe is in between. Axis has their low end indoor PTZ, the 214 for about $1,200 and their outdoors ones tend to be about $2,500 and up. Panasonic makes an indoor one for about a grand.

What's your budget, knowing that $600 is the low end, and $4,000 is the high end. The good news is you won't spend $300/camera, LOL.