Hunter64

Bought the Samsung SDS-P5101;need help with camera placement

Hello Everyone,

I just bought this Samsung unit SDS-P5101 and need help with proper camera placement. I have pictures and show where I think the camera's would be best placed. However, I am a novice and need proven help...so I am turning to you all in the forum for guidance please.

This unit is a Samsung 16 Channel D1 Security System with 1TB Hard Drive and 10 600TVL Cameras.

How do I post pictures of my draft setup?

Thanks,

Hunter

Here is my reply and the option that you need to use. See the "Filename" option under the message and click the "Choose File" button. Then click "Add the file" after choosing one.

choosefile.thumb.JPG.0279532076587bf5b5349027f158336d.JPG

Hello,

I have everything neatly in a Word Doc. When I tried that is comes back and says the extension Doc is not allowed. any thoughts or suggestions?

I tried looking in the FAQ's, but there is no reference to what file extensions are allowed.

Thanks,

Hunter

Ok,

I am sending approx. 10 jps.

First is a Sat view of my home and external camera placements. Then the rest are the individual camera placement pics.

Looks like I can only post 3 pics per posting. Lets see if I can get the rest in place by re-posting.

1918225714_Momview.JPG.8631553cad84c80dc38c110ddd8abb73.JPG

55283164_viewsofentirehouse.JPG.21c7d86da9604c4e4ee804f3c6f0d108.JPG

1983858408_satview.JPG.035d7d5006a7487ca9fa5f256a906b6d.JPG

Hello Kawboy12R and Others,

Any thoughts as to placement of the cameras? I was hoping on some feedback prior to actually putting these into place.

Thanks,

Hunter

Don't have time for much detail but I'd probably stick one in the carport on a back corner looking out at the cars and slightly out the driveway. Angle depends on what else you want to cover outdoors and what the other cams show. WDR will be important here to show detail outdoors when it is sunny. Put at least a 6mm and maybe a 12mm lensed cam pointing out the driveway from the carport. For the visitor front door on the porch I'd probably stick a higher quality dome (unobtrusive) in the corner right above the door and to the left looking out. Much better closeup of folks entering the house, it still covers the windows, and gives better awareness of what's going on around the house because it's pointing out. If using a cheap cam here though then pointing at the house will simplify things and give better shots of those on the porch. Shaded subjects with bright backlighting in the day don't give good pics with cheap cameras. You might want to do a test hang with wires out your windows or front door for a bit to learn your cameras under different conditions before running wires to a spot you decide you don't like and your cams don't perform well in after a day or two. Realize that I'm not saying your cams are cheap (well, not bottom of the barrel anyway), I just don't know them so I can't speak to how well they'll perform under different conditions. I'd expect decent results for unadjustable analogs under uncomplicated conditions but less than great results in more challenging areas. Highly varied light and dim light or darkness are challenging. Try to keep cameras near your entryways within 10' (preferably 5') of where you expect people to walk. Also, I'd probably NOT use the cables that came with your kit. Run cat 5 and use baluns (house them in receptacles with a few feet of extra cable if possible if the Samsungs don't have pigtails long enough to run inside) for futureproofing (MUCH easier to upgrade to network cams) and doesn't anchor you to the kit if you decide to return it if it doesn't perform as you hope.

I thank you for the good tips!

Can you provide a link as an example of these baluns you spoke of?

Thanks Again!

Hunter

http://www.amazon.com/LTS-LTA1010-Passive-Video-Connectors/dp/B001HBP9ZC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1384879351&sr=8-1&keywords=power+video+balun

Something like these. The link isn't special, just the top hit on amazon. This way you can reuse the cables for network cameras afterwards or return your kit easier if you don't like it. There are even cheaper links to power video baluns as well, but some of the super cheapos don't have the BALanceUNbalance circuitry inside and the video will be terrible. Use premade cables or roll your own. Get a cat 5 crimper and tester and a roll of cable (preferably outdoor) and you're good to go. Expect a learning curve and time investment to crimping your own ends though.

I see these are somewhat costly, when buying for 9 to 10 camera's.

I am not committed to this Samsung setup and can return (Costco bought). Would you mind possibly suggesting a network setup?

I am willing to put 1,500.00 into the setup. I would like a 16 channel for future growth and possibly 10 cameras right away. Do you know if they have this in a bundle?

Thanks,

Hunter

Best bang for the buck in network cams with good return policy is either a Swann or Lorex system at Costco. Swann has alarm inputs and lower operating temps IIRC. Cams are much better for detail and handling sun/shade than any analog cam even close to their price I've seen for daytime use. Night is decent but not fantastic . Still good for their price though.

Hello Kawboy12R,

This one looks to be very good, thou it is priced at $2K...

Please let me know what you think of it!?

Lorex 16 Channel Stratus HD NVR Security System with 3TB HDD and 9 1080p Cameras

http://www.costco.com/Lorex-16-Channel-Stratus-HD-NVR-Security-System-with-3TB-HDD-and-9-1080p-Cameras.product.100087415.html#reviews

If you care to go offline with our conversation, just let me know.

Thanks,

Hunter

I haven't been 100% following the new vs old style Hikvision dome issue (Hikvision makes both the Lorex and Swann IP camera gear that is sold at Costco) but I think those domes are two axis (can't mount them on an angle and have a level picture) and have some IR bleed problems inside the dome. Here's a review of the cheaper Hik dome very similar to the one in the Lorex kit. Here's a review of the better Hik dome. Very reasonably priced for the performance and features it has. Seems to me though that there's two versions of the cheaper dome out there and the newer version is siginificantly better at night resulting from a redesign inside the camera to keep the LEDs from reflecting back into the lens off the inside of the dome. At one point the Costco kits had the old style but I'm not sure if they're shipping new style domes yet (or ever).

This Swann kit has a MUCH better NVR, and the big varifocal bullets are quite nice. No domes, but the mini bullets fit just about anywhere. Personally, I like domes (especially without IR) near my main entrance because they're easier for visitors (and wives) to ignore, especially at night, but it's not a deal-killer.

Also, the Lorex doesn't have alarm inputs on the NVR in case you want to add PIR motion detectors or other alarm devices to your system. The Swann NVR has the ability to add these. These are handy in case you want to easily tell when intruders are (or have been) on your property. Video based motion detection goes off all the time, so you'll go nuts using outdoor video motion detection for alerts and will ignore them. Reviewing video is a hobby and can take quite a bit of time, especially if you have sensitivity set to catch motion more than 5-10 feet away from the camera. If a PIR, gate latch, glass break, or pressure mat (or whatever else) alarm goes off, odds are really good that it went off for a good reason. For example, don't ignore your carport PIR alarm going off at 4am, or if you have a PIR inside your house when you're on vacation. Some of these are probably more effectively integrated into your home intrusion alarm (ADT or whatever) system though, but I like handing out pictures of car prowlers to neighbours even when my car doors were locked. Without good alarms or constant monitoring, you'd never know someone jiggled your handle in the middle of the night.

If budget is more of a concern than features though, just stick something up with enough well-placed cameras to get you the ID you need in case of trouble. I'd hate to buy three nice cameras for the front of my place and have some crackhead break in the back door when I could've had a cheaper system covering everything. Also, don't skimp on not getting a cellular-connected alarm system in favour of a more expensive camera system. They can give you nice smartphone alerts of prowlers in and even around your home (don't tie in the outdoor alerts to police though), alert you, your neighbours, and police in case of break-ins as they're happening, call the fire department, etc.

Wow, so much to digest!

I was liking the POe switch to eliminate much of the wiring running back to the NVR on the Lorex setup.

I also agree with you on the domes becoming invisible to people.

However, the alarming has got me turned around. I would like to have alarming in the carport (and door in future) and not the motion alarming from the Lorex bugging me every other minute with false alarms.

I take it PIRs need separate wiring going back to the NVR? I searched and did not find any type of POe switch with alarming (except for power lose to the switch itself).

Hunter

Yes, PIRs need their own power and some kind of small paired wiring going to the nvr. And there is a ton to digest and no perfect solutions. Switches don't have alarm inputs. You can get CAMERAS that have their own alarm inputs that can pass this info along to an nvr solution through the network, thus technically going through the switch though. Lower end cams like the mini bullets in the kits don't come with alarm capabilities, although the better domes I linked to do. I think the varifocals in the Swann kit support alarm inputs but I'm on my phone now.

Hello Kawboy12R,

I have a few questions for you please.

First, I will be getting a home alarm system in near future, so alarm inputs will not be necessary at this time for NVR buying decision. I have installed a Swann system for a friend and I found it to be crude (mind you it was only one I had experience with).

I am leaning towards the Lorex system you first gave me to review.

It has more cameras plus a the Domes.

I also like the POe Switch - less wiring.

1. Do you have experience with both Swann and Lorex systems (Since i did not have a favorable feeling for the Swann myself)?

2. Can you tell me what Swann has within the NVR that you feel it is better than the Lorex NVR.

Thanks,

Hunter

I bought an 8ch Swann based on nvr hardware features and partially on a previous dislike for a completely different Lorex product. I can't compare the two NVRs based on much besides hardware capabilities because I've never used one. If you are satisfied with the Lorex dome image quality at night and mounting limitations of a two axis dome and aren't interested in the nvr features then go Lorex. Or it might be worth buying the Lorex and test-mounting a dome and a bullet over night and then making your decision after some short term testing and before mounting the whole kit. Your wants/needs/expectations/situation/etc aren't mine.

Hello Kawboy12R,

I like your idea of trying the lorex on a test basis with the temp dome an bullet setup. I am going to call into their sales and or tech support and see what I can get out of them on what is sold in the Costco kits. I hope they will provide me the info.

I thank you for hanging in there with me on this.

Hunter