We're self-installing cameras in our production plant for mostly night surveillance. So far we've used Aventura Technologies for equipment and are about to do wiring, but we want all options to be open and plan on the possibility of a PTZ camera to replace the B&W exterior cameras we're currently putting out there. So my question is are all PTZ control wires the same? Aventura uses what they call an 18.2 control wire and they say it's universal, but I'm assuming it's universal with the PTZ's they sell. Is it? If not, what would be the best wire to go with? Our run is 240' through brick, insulation, and metal rafters and won't be fun, so we want to do it all in one shot and get it over with.

Thanks!

Kevin

18 2 generally is used for Power transmission.

18-2.jpg

18 being the Gauge

2 being the 2 cables or conductors

For the communication I think generally most people utilize cat-5 or some sort of UTP.

For the PTZ's I would use an RG-59 cable for the video and power transmission and for the communication a CAT-5 cable.

thanks for the responses..

We've got a bunch of siamese cable ready to run already, we're going to have to run a couple seperate clumps of wires, and we already have Cat5 here, so I'll probably have a Cat5 wire put into one of the bundles to run

thanks for the responses..

We've got a bunch of siamese cable ready to run already, we're going to have to run a couple seperate clumps of wires, and we already have Cat5 here, so I'll probably have a Cat5 wire put into one of the bundles to run

If you're still thinking 18-2 ensure it has a drain wire (usually) and overall shield. Check for local regulations on FT rating. (FT4 or FT6)

Don't forget to pull a pull string for future use.

Rapid

what we're running to each current stationary camera is:

siamese cable (coax video, 18g power)

additional power wires (for housing, to reduce DC voltage drop off)

now for a future PTZ I can just throw in a Cat5 wire and call it a day, right? the Aventura rep is now talking about Cat5, baluns, and running power through the Cat5 too, but we already have the siamese cable and power cables ready to go, I just need to know what to add into the bundle to control a future PTZ cam...

As Rory was implying (correct me) the coax can be used in the future to pass reverse PTZ data along with the video. For example, Panasonic, Pelco and American Dynamics are suppliers who can make use of the existing video coax to pass PTZ data. Thus the coax would be sufficient.

I would recommend a 22 AWG or larger, shielded, twisted pair cable for RS-485/RS-422 communication in the future as an alternative.

Cheers.....Rapid