bkvanbek

swann indoor camera with sound

I just got my first system, the Swann from Costco, 16 channel, 6 bullet cameras plus two vari focus.

I need a couple more cameras, for indoors, wide angle with sound. I think dome would be better, can't tell where they are aimed. Which ones?

What kind of mic?

Those hikvision domes from Wrightwood are china version and 50 more than aliexpress. Are they the same?

Are the cameras that came in this kit capable of sound?

With most outdoor cameras, having 2 way audio rarely means the mic and speaker are built in. The only outdoor cameras I know of with this built-in is Mobotix and some Axis like the P33, ironically we disable this per our attorney due to some federal wire tapping laws. Not saying you shouldn't, just saying why it's not a priority for most camera manufacturers. Imagine if we actually put mic's on cameras that didn't have them, then we intentionally violated federal and state laws, worse than if the camera just came with a mic and we didn't know, LOL.

Most cameras require amplified speakers and amplified mics. Most amplified devices need power, typically 12V, so take that into consideration when planning. Also, consider where you will place the mic, if this is exposed to weather or not. This Hikvision is a rarity in that it has the option to use an un-amplified mic and it worked for me in my testing.

What brand to buy, where to buy it depends on you. Clearly a microphone you buy in China for $3 or eBay/Amazon for $6 is not going to be the best you can get, but everyone's expectations are different. The ones you see there have two or three cables, those are amplified, one of the cables is a jack for a 12V adapter. Search the forum for microphone, there's some brands that people have had good/bad experiences with.