solopublic

Room for Growth!

Hi, i'm from sunny South Africa, happy new year all!

I've been in the IT industry for about 4 years, and a lot of homeIT experience, so i guess i could say it's my thing!

Now this new company i'm working with, want's me to run the NEW CCTV and Access control division.

I have done a brief course on the two subjects, yet i still have a lot to learn. Like IT, i've done the course, but found i learn LOTS more in the field, gaining experience and knowledge as i go along. This is probably the same way it will work with CCTV. But For Now....

I would LOVE to know, what are the most important things to know before i approach my first clients? Product knowledge? Product selection? Or should i just get an 'assistant' with a sexy dress to go with me and let her behind to the selling, and tell the customer i know what i'm doing, then figure it out from there? I hope that makes my question more understandable!

Happy 2006

solopublic - South Africa

I would say it's more important to know the former than the latter. The lady in the sexy dress may get you jobs but you will be hating life if you don't know what you're doing. I would recommend reading as much as you can in these forums. And I would recommend getting some hands-on experience even if you have to buy yourself a security system.

I've seen people that have pretended to know what they're doing and watch them squirm as the customer watches them without taking their eyes off of them. If you have the opportunity to get some hands-on experience from someone who is in the field that would be great.

i suggest you put on some gloves and spend some time with your installers (all day, not just a coffe cup visit). i mean attach yours to the smart guy and have him tell you what to do. You'l not only learn the ropes but you'll earn some respect.....which will open doors for you later. Eveen if you have to use vacation time, do it.

and then go home and surf til Rory says you can sleep. Otherwise you'll never pass his test........

ps...nothing sucks more than having a sales person promise things that cannot be done all because that person does not understand the working end of the "tool".

If the company has some cash lying around, buy a system for the company, full blown like 16 channels for example, real time, DVR, variations of cameras (check the forum for ideas) such as PTZ, Box, Dome, Day Night, Color, BW, Infrared, etc., some coax and some UTP Active Mixed, and even if you want to go a step further some IP camera gear.

Once you get some hands on you will find quoting the jobs much easier.

Its one thing quoting a job, but its another thing to actually install it properly using the correct equipment for the specific application.

Also if you can help it, dont sell anything you haven't fully tested yourself first, makes life easier in the long run and less issues such as sending back gear that doesnt do the job.

Lastly dont start off with cheap Bullet cameras, as it will not give you much actual hands on CCTV experience. Its good to have them as options for clients on a tight budget, but they take very little CCTV experience or knowledge to install.

Rory