Sign in to follow this  
griffonsystems

warehouse (retail shop) installation suggestions

25-30ft ceilings - its a harley davidson dealership looking to cover the floor, doors, registers, etc.

the florescent lights hang about 4-5ft from the ceiling -- i was going to just mount fixed cameras to the beams and have them zoomed down onto the areas but the client wants the big smoked dome housings hanging all around to deter theft and also wants the lcd/monitor as you walk into the store that says "welcome i am taping you sign"

this is my first stab at retail so i could use any and all suggestions - first off who makes these domes and do i just mount then to conduit hung from the beams, etc.. does anyone make an lcd/camera welcome sign thingie

thx

pg

I have installed many systems and you can either use a 4x4 electrical box mounted to the beam with beem clamps a piece of counduit and another 4x4 box at the base then install the camera to that or a flange plate with a 1 1/2 inch threaded pipe then the dome mounts to the threaded end at the base. It all depends on the weight. You can pick most of the stuff up at Home Depot eccept the domes.

Mike

The LCD monitor systems I have seen have generally been cheap Dell LCD TV's with a camera tied directly to it.

no the sign was more of a joke but i have seen where they have a sign next to the monitor saying the store is coved with surveillance -- i am just more interested in suggestions or cautions in hanging cameras in this fashion,etc

GE has a Public Monitor system which is an LCD wi+th a built in WD camera.expensive and not worth it i think.

Wren Associates has dome housings, take a look at:

http://www.wrenassociates.com

Just hang them from the beams, as you need to get the camera below the lighting. That or mount the cameras on the walls.

thanks for the help rory - i found some good housings that are reasonable

here's another question - how far can you run an output from a register to a dvr for text overlay? i assume its just a serial out port on the register or maybe on a central server and then send it over to the dvr to incorp into the video.

The max for RS-232 is 50 ft in theory. I've never pushed it that far. But if you need longer you can do RS-232 to 422/485 (depends if you need half or full duplex) and convert it back on the DVR end.