Hey Rory you ever have issue playing back DVD's from a DVR on a standard DVD player?? Hava a customer looking for a unit that can burn DVD's that when playing on standard DVD players looks good as TV. Is this possible with standard CCTV cameras??

ive never used a DVD myself, but basically wont be the same quality of a TV camera ($10s of thousands for one of those) but should be exceptable if recorded in 640x480 or 720x480, i playback on a 21" CCTV monitor, from a PC based DVR and S-Video output in 640x480 and its very good.

I doubt the quality recorded from a standalone will be as acceptable though, but can only speak of the ones ive used and their evidence sharing quality is not very good at all compared to a PC based.

The playback on a standalone should be the same as a PC based if recorder at the same resolution using the same cameras unless you tweak it with the PC right? I told him you can't expect to get that high of quality from a 480 lor cctv camera on a HD TV kinda like using a LCD for a CCTV monitor. Have you ever uses any 3ccd cameras like the Panasonic AWE750 or those Covi mega pixel cameras?? Think that would make a big difference??

no i havent used them, but the size doesnt matter if the DVR cant support it, current highest recording size is 720x480. Stand alones generally dont produce the same size image when evidence sharing.

If you're talking about burning surveillance video to a DVD to be played in a standalone player you would need special software to convert your video that uses a special codec to MPEG-2 which is the codec used to burn DVDs. You can then use other programs such as Nero that will trans-code the MPEG-2 files to VOB files which are how the files are named on a DVD.