Sign in to follow this  
empedokles

ACTi d32 vs. Grandstream GXV3672_FHD vs. Dahua IPC-HFW3300C

Which is the better camera for outdoor use?

Which has better IR capabilities?

Are varilenses as sharp as ordinary lenses and operatable over Ethernet?

I had an IPC-HFW3300C at the front of my home and replaced it with an ACTi E32, so those are my thoughts.

What made you do so if I may ask?

The 3300C, and the 2100N as well, have problems with really soft compression in the shadows if you've got a mix of well-lit and shadow images. Hard to say if they'll ever fix that with firmware, since they never say what's in the firmware updates, and firmware can be hard to find.

Vari-focal lenses are generally not as good quality at the extremes as fixed-focus lenses, but it totally depends on the lens. You can't adjust these over the network - they're strictly manual. In addition, some Dahuas have issues with the focus shifting when they're in the sun for a while. One of mine does this, and another user was posting with similar problems.

I've given up on Dahuas, personally, but other people still like them.

The 3300C, and the 2100N as well, have problems with really soft compression in the shadows if you've got a mix of well-lit and shadow images. Hard to say if they'll ever fix that with firmware, since they never say what's in the firmware updates, and firmware can be hard to find.

Vari-focal lenses are generally not as good quality at the extremes as fixed-focus lenses, but it totally depends on the lens. You can't adjust these over the network - they're strictly manual. In addition, some Dahuas have issues with the focus shifting when they're in the sun for a while. One of mine does this, and another user was posting with similar problems.

I've given up on Dahuas, personally, but other people still like them.

Well, I want to film black crows (they are kind of shadowy ). I must say that I'm after a natural look.

I don't like the mount on the Dahua either (the cable seems only to go trough the mount). That is more flexible with the Grandstream (probably?) and ACTi. The ACTi could even be mounted on a Tripod. 20fps at 3mpx of the newset Dahuas would have been a benefit, but it seems Dahua is getting off this list. Maybe I put Hikvision in the game instead.

I'm not sure if I can get lucky with a fixed lens (It would be a bit of speculation as I don't have any experience with network cameras and their focal lengths). Hard to say. On the other hand I don't want to distort the crows with wide angles.

The new Dahua 3MP, the ipc-hfw4300s is better at shadows and detail like in grass. It becomes a question of pretty picture but lack of detail and poor color accuracy of the Sony Exmor chip on the hfw3300C vs. better detail, better color accuracy, but muted, less exciting picture quality of the Aptina chip on the hfw4300S. I would say the ACTi E32 for me gives me the best of both, close to the prettier picture of the Sony Exmor with the details and color accuracy of the Aptina. D32 is nice, but I like the WDR capabilities of the E32 where I have it mounted.

I hope to have a review in a week or so. I started testing the hfw4300s 2 weeks ago but for some reason it died and just got the replacement a few days ago.

Never tested a Grandstream, so can't comment on it's capabilities.

Would you rather recommend me a varilens for my purpose or a fixed lens? (4.2mm of the E42 seem too short for my purpose.) E43A seems above my budget. ACTi E42A and D42 would have varilenses. Is WDR helpful for filming crows?

No, would not recommend the current line of ACTi varifocals because of the narrow IR beam pattern when used in wide angle mode. I'm hoping that's resolved in their new line coming out soon.

The Dahua ipc-hfw4300s has a wider view, don't remember the lens spec but appears wider than the E32. It's an odd camera in that with WDR off, it's similar to other cameras with WDR on, but put WDR on and the picture becomes very washed out, no real different between 1% and 100%.

What is the number of their coming line?

Would you rather recommend me a varilens at all for my purpose of filming crows or a fixed lens (more on the teleside me thinks)?

It's there new B and I series but the D and E series are not obsolete, a new one E dome came out a few days ago. On their site, click Project Planner of the top nav bar, then click on Start Online Selector, you'll see all the new cameras. Their product list only shows models available today, but the Project Planner shows all. Found this out at the ASIS show from Ando that's on the forum.

When you click on the SPEC button for a camera, near the bottom it tells you when it will be available, for example, says February/March for the B41. Ando mentioned these have good illuminators that adjust light output based on zoom amount.

I doubt I can wait this long. I wish I had more experience with this cams, so I just could buy the focal lenght I need. Unfortunately this security camera focal lengths don't tell me much.

I hope to have a review in a week or so. I started testing the hfw4300s 2 weeks ago but for some reason it died and just got the replacement a few days ago.

Did you get it over aliexpress? There is another model hfw4300e. What's the difference?

The price is really tempting:

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/DAHUA-IPC-HFW4300S-IP-Cameras-Box-Camera-CMOS-3MP-POE-IP66-IR-30M-HD-1080P-ONVIF/1536761860.html

Can you confirm on the 20fps for 3mpx?

If you're not sure what focal length you'll need, you should go with vari-focal, as swapping M12 lenses is a bit of a minefield.

If you're not sure what focal length you'll need, you should go with vari-focal, as swapping M12 lenses is a bit of a minefield.

It will be much more on the tele-side of things for birdwatching.

How about domes?

http://www.grandstream.com/index.php/products/ip-video-surveillance/gxv3662

Do I also have to set focal lenghts manually with domes? Or is focal lenght and position selectable over my PC?

If you're not using IR, there's little difference between domes and bullets, though smoked domes will reduce the light a bit.

To change zoom remotely, you need a PTZ camera, which adds quite a bit to the cost. Almost anything under $500-ish is either manual zoom or junk, and good ones with lots of zoom will cost over $1000. Most PTZ are pendant style. Ignore digital zoom specs; only optical zoom counts.

Here's Dahua's line-up of PTZ cams:

http://www.dahuasecurity.com/products_category/network-ptz-camera-5.html

If you're not using IR, there's little difference between domes and bullets, though smoked domes will reduce the light a bit.

I see. I've got a budget of 200-300$. IR is probably a benefit for my purpose.

Is there no way to simulate 8mm with a Nikon-FM2 35mm camera?

No, the ipc-hfw4300s is from their official U.S. distributor, the only one that Dahua allows to use their name and model numbers here and warrantied in the U.S. and is just on loan for the review. I believe the price is the same or close to the ipc-hfw3200s in the U.S..

The Hik 2032 is heavily reviewed, and is a good camera for the price, but is fixed focal length, and changing lenses is a pain.

The Hik varifocal bullet BW mentions is probably the best choice in your price range. I'd say pull the trigger and go for it, and then you'll know better what you need next time you want to upgrade.

The Dahua HFW3300C varifocal bullet is more expensive, and has image quality issues in the shadows, which you might not want for birdwatching. I don't know if the new 4400 series fixes these problems, or what the price is. Here's a post showing the HFW3300C image quality issues:

viewtopic.php?p=237284#p237284