Sign in to follow this  
bryanman

Can't view video in browser from outside network

Hi all! New here.

So my problem is, I can access the login page for the web browser interface of my DVR using the public IP address (using web port, so like xx.xxx.xxx.xx:3000). But when I get to the page where it shows the buttons to view each of my cameras, the video doesn't load. I tried this on several browsers already. On some of them, it just shows the logo of Quicktime, as if it's trying to load but no dice.

Doesn't seem to be a problem with browsers. When I try to access using local IP, works just fine.

Doesn't seem to be the internet connection either. The DVR (H.264, a chinese brand I think) came with a software, and I installed it in a computer outside the network. When I set up the software, at first I failed at setting it up using the public IP and web port of the DVR. But, there's an option in that software to use "Cloud" instead, and I just entered the DVR's unique ID and it worked.

It also works on mobile for some weird reason. I just put the public IP then the mobile port, and I can view it on my iPhone.

All ports that I configured seem to be open, as far as canyouseeme.org can tell. At the best of my knowledge, there aren't any problems regarding ports. (unless of course there's something else I need to do to view it outside my network?)

The reason why I need to view this on a browser is that most of our computers at home (or when we're on vacation) are Macs, so I can't install the software that came with the DVR. I found alternate programs that work on the mac, but it's only using the "mobile" versions of the video, so the quality is bad. I want to be able to see the higher quality versions of the videos, which thus far I have only been able to see in my browser WITHIN the network, or by using the software, but requiring the use of a Windows PC.

Hope you guys can help! Thanks!

check port 443 it's for HTTPS

When I was setting up my stuff, I missed that one too...

on edit:

Ohhh, I see youre using HTTP, thats port 85

for MAC try port 10123

on edit:

for MAC try port 10123

I don't know where you are but HTTP is port 80, not 85, and when you say MAC are you refering to the MAC address?

on edit:

for MAC try port 10123

I don't know where you are but HTTP is port 80, not 85, and when you say MAC are you refering to the MAC address?

Oops, meant Apple/Mac

Yes, 80 is HTTP, for some reason I was thinking his DVR is set for 85.

OP, check port 554 (RTSP) ....Should've suggested this first.

Hi! Thanks for all the replies! Sorry got held up with finals in school.

I'm really new at all these networking and DVRs, so while I'll be trying your suggestions (Have to go to the office to check these settings), I also wanna ask:

What's the difference between using the standard web port 80 (is this right?) versus when I set my DVR's HTTP to anything else, like right now it's set to 3000. (It used to be set to 8080 as recommended by the manual, I just changed it to 3000 just for the heck of trying to make things work)

And what's port 554? What's it for?

Thanks again!

Hi! Thanks for all the replies! Sorry got held up with finals in school.

I'm really new at all these networking and DVRs, so while I'll be trying your suggestions (Have to go to the office to check these settings), I also wanna ask:

What's the difference between using the standard web port 80 (is this right?) versus when I set my DVR's HTTP to anything else, like right now it's set to 3000. (It used to be set to 8080 as recommended by the manual, I just changed it to 3000 just for the heck of trying to make things work)

And what's port 554? What's it for?

Thanks again!

Port 8080 is used as most ISP's block port 80 to stop people from hosting servers on residential connections. You should have no issue using port 3000 as long as you aren't using it for anything else.