Sign in to follow this  
pidgey

Question about Audio communication with Hikvision dome cam

Hello, iv been looking for a dome cam for my home entrance and narrowed down to Hikvision brand after few advices i got in this forum.

I have pretty much a clear idea of all the features i need, i was just wondering about this feature and which model is capable of this:

Id like to communicate to the cam from my iphone, like if it cam was a video-phone, is that possible?

So i need audio in and out.

I see some apps for iphone and android have this feature, but im not sure which cam is better for this.

So far i cabled the spot where i want to place the cam, i only have the Ethernet cable so far (i intend to use POE), but i can eventually add other cables if really necessary (i hope not).

I dont need great quality, and i'd prefer a model with integrated speaker and microphone, even if the quality of audio is not going to be that good.

Eventually it's ok to add some external microphone, not so much an external speaker because i'd need a power source for that and it's quite complicated to add one in that spot, unless the external speaker can gather the power from the cam.

Any ideas? Even a different brand, but i'd like to stick to Hikvision also because my other cams (bullet) are going to be Hikvision (btw i dont need audio for the bullet cams).

Thanks a lot for any suggestion.

Models ending in S have 2-way audio like the ds-2cd2732-is that I reviewed not that long ago.

Word of caution on audio-in, there's no microphone, you have to get a microphone, likely an outdoor one and attach the wires to the camera, and typically most are amplified, meaning you may need 12V to power the microphone. Also check your local laws regarding recording people's conversation, I know for me in California, all parties must consent to having their conversation recorded.

Hi Buellwinkle, what do you think of using a PoE splitter at the camera side then you can have a DC power for the Mic too? Most CCTV mics have a DC pass through then you can power up the camera too through DC 12 V from the Mic.

Hi Buellwinkle, what do you think of using a PoE splitter at the camera side then you can have a DC power for the Mic too? Most CCTV mics have a DC pass through then you can power up the camera too through DC 12 V from the Mic.

I think that depends on cable distances are 12V have 4x the voltage drop over distance than PoE at 48V. The Hikvision can take an unamplified mic so I would try that first and see if it has the sensitivity you are looking for.

ah I see, thanks for the insight.

I just wish hikvision gave it an RCA or 3.5 mm plug (like for their box camera) instead of having to splice the connection.