Sign in to follow this  
kingkongdaz\

CCTV over Cloud

Hey Guys

Has anyone installed CCTV (home or business) and linked it up to cloud rather than going through a DVR, which will enable the customer to view there property via cloud on their mobile device such as an iPhone/iPad or other mobile devices, not forgetting home PC.

Also for those in the UK, which 1-12 camera dome set-up with good night vision (at least 600tvl) night vision 25 metres can you recommend? I'm trying to buy wholesale to sell on. We have Qvis dome cameras around our home which seem fine just wondered if anything is out on the market and if you can point me in the right direction.

Thanks

Darran

I have thought of the Cloud for certain applications but it seems more of a novel concept than a true solution for security.

1. What happens when you lose internet connection? Most internet providers also do maintenance between 1 -4 am. Try setting up a Pingdom account and monitor how often your connection does go down.

2. If someone intentionally cuts the line. A local gas station was robbed and they took the DVR so they replaced it with a cloud solution but next time they were robbed, phone and cable connections were cut in an attempt to disable the holdup (They forgot about GSM) but never less there was no recording after the cut and the cameras SD cards were not usable. Some cameras now had SD card slots but SD is rated for X number of Writes and who has time to verify the cards integrity. Some cameras should have the ability to notify when you have a problem but not 100% reliable

3. Storage retention- I found most cloud providers start you on view only but then charge for days of storage which on a multiple camera basis can be costly.

4. Security - On a DVR by DVR basis a hacker would have to find all DVRs and cameras. In a Cloud situation, if the hacker does gain access, they would have access to all the cameras.

I too would be interested in hearing from someone who has used Cloud service for longer than 6 months with multiple cameras.

Please provide details such as cost, storage retention, what back-haul provider etc. I have heard more bad than good but then again you hear more when people complain.

To be safe you should use both DVR with regular backup on USB / Blue Ray and push to remote server as additional backup and/or live view.

As a concept I don't like idea of using pc and phone apps for remote access directly to DVR, firmwares on DVR's sometimes never get updated and could have some potential breach in them that hacker can use to access your DVR. If you upload to website / cloud then they have to first hack hosting company to even know your DVR's ip address and even if they do know it you can still have all incoming connections blocked in your firewall because uploading from DVR to internet is outgoing connection.

So far i have not seen DVR that has feature to push live stream somewhere, maybe NVR's / IP cameras do.