habusho

What's the consensus on the Cisco SF300-24 POE Switch

I wanted to purchase a class 3 POE switch for my upcoming 8 ACTI cameras.

We also happen to have 3 VoIP telephones in the office that could use POE.

After doing research, I've found this 24 Port Cisco model seems to suit my needs and I also love the fact that it has a lifetime warranty. I think this model is also fanless but I'm not sure.

Anybody use these guys before?

I have three of those in the field right now and they are great. The management is pretty easy to navigate and the switch is relatively quiet if that matters.

If you want support from Cisco be prepared to pay for a support contract

Fair point, but my support contract paid for itself overnight. We had a switch take a power hit, and literally smoke out a telco closet. I had a Cisco rep on site and helping me swap out the unit for a new one in 90 minutes. Depending on the importance of the circuit, that might be worth it to your customer.

If you want support from Cisco be prepared to pay for a support contract

Fair point, but my support contract paid for itself overnight. We had a switch take a power hit, and literally smoke out a telco closet. I had a Cisco rep on site and helping me swap out the unit for a new one in 90 minutes. Depending on the importance of the circuit, that might be worth it to your customer.

Free lifetime support with next day advanced replacement with HP.

Would a sf-300 be enough to cope with 12x 3mp cameras? Just thinking of saturating the link back to your main network / comp. Does it have a gigabit port?

Where from? And what price?

I purchased it from Amazon.com.

I'll have it installed in the next couple of weeks and I'll let you all know how it goes.

It seems to have a lot more power available than the Cisco and it's more flexible.