Sign in to follow this  
SapperGB

need to upgrade but what first

Hi,

I have had my home CCTV for probably around 5 -6 years and its showing its age.

I bought locally and it consisted of a Hivision (note- no 'K') DVR with 250gig HDD, 4 cameras and shotgun cable runs. - it wasn't the cheapest available nor was it the most expensive at around £400GBP

I only needed 3 cameras and these are set up outside.

Now, at the time I didn't do much research and knew very little about CCTV when I bought it. Its performance has just about been acceptable.

Over the last year or so I noticed shocking noise when the cameras were on IR - I found out a month or so ago this was due to very poor 1amp power supplies that came with each camera. the DVR runs from a 5amp supply so I bought a cable splitter and it has made a huge difference.

I have decided to begin upgrading.

I need to stay analogue for a few years, I have just decorated and cannot drill new holes nor can I afford to go IP/Hybrid just now.

If I was to upgrade a bit at a time (finances), what would give me the biggest improvement in quality, new cameras or a new DVR?

I am suspecting cameras would give most satisfaction -

I have no idea on what specs the cameras I have are, but as they came as part of the kit I am sure they aint too great.

the DVR is H264, offers 5 quality levels of recording (lowest/low/normal/high/highest) and has the following recording resolutions:

720 x 576 (is this D1?) but at only 8FPS on each camera

720x288 @ 12FPS

360x288 @ 25FPS

Apart from this info, there isn't much more I can offer, Im afraid I will be looking towards the budget market, I would like to use the supplier linked as they are local, I have linked the DVR I was thinking of getting so opinions would be great.

http://stores.ebay.co.uk/CCTV-Warehoue/4-Channel-DVRs-/_i.html?_fsub=1556040010&_sid=888669870&_trksid=p4634.c0.m322

the cameras - I need bullet cameras am i correct in going for 600TVL as going higher on analogue would be a waste?

I know the forums are full of 'what kit' posts so apologies for going the same way but opinions on this locally supplied kit would be appreciated.

If the one listed is no good then what about the AVTech KPD674?

so how about it, cameras or DVR first, which DVR (at around the above prices)?

This is a perfect example of upgrading to an HD-SDI system.

1. You do not need to run new cables

2. If terminated properly, RG59 or RG6 cable will work

3. You have option from 720p, 1080i & 1080p cameras.

4. You can maintain 30fps or 60fps per channel

The new CVI option is also available but currently provides 720p.

I hope the word budget is not another word for cheap. You do get what you pay for. Invest in a good linear power supply, surge protection and UPS unit and your system should last a long time.

"Futility: doing the same thing over and over but expecting a different result."