Sign in to follow this  
SapperGB

PTZ CONTROLLER/DVR

Hi. Having pondered around how best to upgrade myhome cctv I have decided to upgrade o e of the cameras to PTZ.

Can anyone advise if it is possible to have a keyboard pyz controller AND be able to use my DVRs PTZ as well.

the reason is so I have the ease of the pad/stick when at home but also have control with remote access by using the DVR control.

Thanks

Absolutely! Run your connections in parallel. You can use diodes also if you experience any issues. Without a matrix controller or more advanced DVRs you cannot set priority, meaning if 2 people are trying to control a single PTZ, you could be fighting each other.

Absolutely! Run your connections in parallel. You can use diodes also if you experience any issues. Without a matrix controller or more advanced DVRs you cannot set priority, meaning if 2 people are trying to control a single PTZ, you could be fighting each other.

That's great (I think). Its just remembering high school physics that may be a problem, been a very long time.

Ive spent an age trying to think of how I understand your post. don't get me wrong, it is clear and informative - its just grasping the understanding.

when it goes to connecting bits together, my DVR obviously has the RS485 +/- as do the camera and the ptz controller - can I simply connect the camera and the controller to the +/- on the DVR?

IVe drawn a diagram, could you take a look and see if I am getting the grasp of things?

The top detailed one is how I think it should look, but will connecting like the smaller one below it work?

Another question if I may?

I am planning on using CAT5e and baluns for the camera, which will have a maximum length of 15 metres, I don't think there would be a power issue as I will use two of the twisted pairs for power. I am going to run a second run of Cat5e to a second IR day/night camera with a run of perhaps 35metres. Do you forsee any issue with ground loop?

The PTZ is new, its a swann 700tvl consumer unit, its replacing one of the cameras that came as part of my DVR package. I am continuing to use 2 of the original cameras, both of which are on shotgun cable, but of different quality and one is suffering from interference hence me replacing it with CAt5e (as well as relocation).

Sorry for the constant questions, my diagram is below - notice the professional use of a pink wire

239685_1.jpg

You can locate your DVR and PTZ keyboard next to each other, splice them right there, and then run a single long wire to the camera.

I probably wouldn't screw the keyboard wire into the back of the dvr along with the camera. But, that could work.

The thing with the electrical signal is it will travel OUT of the DVR and go down both wires - one to the camera and one to the keyboard. (and vice versa for the keyboard and the camera.) If you run into problems with the keyboard/dvr/camera not working with this splice then you should install diodes on the keyboard and/or dvr wires - be sure to orient them in the right direction because diodes are designed to allow electrical current to flow in one direction but not the other. The diodes will prevent the DVR from sending its signal the Keyboard (for example).

This might only be a problem for cheap electronics though.