Sign in to follow this  
peskypete

Wipers on dome style cameras?

Hi All,

Have seen some PTZ dome cameras with a small wiper blade that passes over the exposed lens.

http://www.alibaba.com/product-gs/1606789857/New_technology_1_3MP_1080P_outdoor/showimage.html

Other cameras are enclosed in a perspex (clear plastic) dome.

Is the enclosed style prone to crap (in a residential area), so much so that the wiper on an exposed lens style would be better?

Or is the exposed style more prone to the elements and not a good choice?

Thanks!

The wiper to me seems more like a gimmick than anything else. Not to mention, I wouldn't trust it to keep working long term. I use two domeless ptz's and one dome bosch ptz and the domeless type aren't any more prone to the lens getting dirty in my experience. What could a wiper be good for really? Rain? When it's raining it's raining- a wiper wouldn't do much to keep the image clear. Snow? Maybe, but domeless typically don't have snow build up over the lens. Dirt and dust? I surely wouldn't use a dry wiper for that. You have to clean the lens properly if you're gonna do it- a slightly damp shammy cloth or lens cloth. The only time it could be useful is right after a rain when water droplets haven't cleared yet. If that constitutes a huge need for you, rock and roll. I contemplated a wiper camera but after thinking it through, I passed for those reasons. My 2 cents.

Also, my opinion is you choose a domeless because you need the strong IR they offer and the dome type when you don't need IR. And it's not like the domeless are truly domeless- they have a dome type face that covers everything. It's just that style allows the use of powerful IR, without getting the IR reflections back into the lens that often happens with a bubble type dome camera.

Good points.

I was thinking to use the wiper for spider webs (or partial webs) that I've had over the front of lenses before.

A domed surface would be less likely for them to be attracted too though.

The camera would be mounted under an eave, so rain would not be a factor.

I am leaning toward no wiper, based on that last thought.

The IR leds seem ok through the dome on some models I have seem demo video from.

It's going to be mounted up high and not that accessible, but if I only have to go up a ladder with a broom twice a year, then that's not too bad!

I did a video a couple years ago on installing my ptz somewhat like you describe. The wiper won't help with webs, in my experience. They don't usually make webs right on the lens. The webs wave and dangle in front of the camera beyond the reach of a wiper- frustratingly so. Sometimes a spider will just sit it's ass right on the camera lens and then a wiper could help, but in my experience that happens less frequently.

8eKPmVop1FU

Ok, had a chance to view the video. Thanks for sharing!

As far as the resolution goes, are you getting 800x500? That's .4 Mp equivalent right?

Do you think that 1, 2 or even 3 Mp cameras are overkill for a ptz?

If you are zoomed out, and you are worried about resolution, will a 3Mp camera really be much of an advantage?

I suppose if you want to digitally zoom in to a video to, say, read a license plate, then the more Mp's the better.

But if you are using a PTZ to id someone that may be 50 metres away, you are going to zoom in to them anyway and if you are filling most of the screen with their body, then more Mp's is not necessary.

So my thought is that I could skip a higher (more expensive) camera, if the lower resolution one will suffice.

A couple of q's:

What are you using to input the video? A usb stick or PCI card?

Has the camera been in tour mode continually for 2 yrs? Any problems?

Thanks - I may have a couple more q's for ya later!

Pete

My dvr and ptz are analog. Since making that video, I've switched to a dahua dvr. All footage is recorded to the internal hard drive in the dahua. The choice of mega pixel or analog is up to you. I don't usually have the camera in tour mode. That's something I engage whenever I wish to.