Sign in to follow this  
grizli

System requirements for NVR

Just want to say thank you for helping me figure out the cameras already!

Now I'm going to build NVR system to do the recording on those cameras.

It looks like I'll be totaling around 10mp across all cameras.

What kind of system specs are required? CPU wise? Memory?

500Gb-1Tb drive should be enough to record a month worth?

Any help is appreciated.

All depends on what software you'll be using. Software that lets the camera do the motion detection tend to be way more efficient than software that does the motion detection itself.

Believe it or not, it requires a lot of developer effort to allow the camera to do the motion detection, so products that do this costs at least $50/camera like Exacq, Milestone, Avigilon. Software that does motion detection is free to cheap, like Zoneminder, BlueIris, iSpyConnect.

So a trade off between investing in better hardware to run cheaper software or cheaper hardware to run better software. Since I already had a slow PC, it was less expensive for me to buy better software so my choice easy.

As for hard drives, depends on how much activity exists at your place. I use a 1TB drive with 14 days recordings and it works for me. Hard drives are super cheap, certainly not an area to skimp.

Likewise, if your NVR is only going to be a recorder, and not a viewer, that drops the CPU load considerably.

If you run the viewing client on the same PC, or if it's integrated with the recorder like Blue Iris, it consumes more CPU, as decoding multiple camera streams is very CPU intensive.

Assuming I'll be using software such as Milestone will i3 with 4gb suffice?

I'm guessing I can map a drive on the NVR box to my laptop to watch recordings?