Tdublyou

Axis software selection

Where can I get help on which Axis software to use (or should I instead use Blue Iris?)? I have one m1004-W camera for a Windows PC. I just want to record from triggered motion detection, send messages in response to it, store video clips to PC hard drive, and access data external from iPhone app. Axis has a plethora of programs and I thought someone might be able to suggest which one to use, without having to go through all the vague documentation for each one. Axis customer support hasn't been any help on this. Windows 7; IE11; ActiveX enabled.

Their NVR software is pricey, maybe $200 per camera, so not sure that's where you want to go as you camera probably cost about that price.

They do have an in-camera app called Axis Camera Companion (ACC) that works pretty well. You install the program on Windows and then when you setup the camera, it uploads the app to the camera. Because that model does not have an SD card slot, you would have to setup a NAS (or even a Windows share on your PC) and it will record to it without any external software or PC. You can buy a cheap NAS for maybe $100. To view the camera or recordings or to make changes to the settings, you would do it through the Windows program. The downside is that there's no smartphone/tablet apps or even a web interface, everything has to be done through the Windows app.

I exclusively use the Axis Camera Companion software and have had great luck. It's been really reliable for recording - both to NAS and SD local camera storage. There's a free app called, "Video Assistant for AXIS Camera Companion" in the iOS App store made by "BrightSentry Inc" that allows you to playback video from the cameras, and view them all.

The windows software is pretty intuitive...once you get your camera(s) connected, setting record times/motion/alerts is all pretty standard. Let me know if you need any help with setup!

Thanks for your comments. What ios app + windows software are best for alert messages triggered by detected motion? Based on above comments it looks like ACC is a good choice. But does it, along with an app, handle motion detection alert messaging well?

Axis won't tell you this but you can attach a usb HD to a router and use it as a standalone "NAS" if you don't want to keep a computer running with a shared drive all the time or buy a NAS box plus drive. I put NAS in quotes because it is technically storage attached to a network but isn't really a true NAS. You'd be better off getting a real NAS, especially if you wanted to hide it somewhere sneaky (you can hide those little suckers anywhere within a 100m cable run of your router or switch), but it CAN be done. Most geeks I know have a few usb hds floating around that could be repurposed for free. I used up a Walmart gift card that I hadn't used for ages to get one for my ACC network share. Just plugged it into my Asus RT-N66U. The only issue was that I had to set the root as the network share because it wouldn't let me specify a subdirectory.