Sign in to follow this  
rossconz

Protocol to Interface to Linux Based DVR's

Hi

I have a client with 6 remote 'Camera/Digital Video Recorder/Hard Disk' setups recording the movement of cars in and out of a rural area. These Setups are accessible via a Wireless TCP/IP network for the purpose of Monitoring, Playing Back or Configuration.

The DVR Units are Miracleon EDO4 4 Channel H.264 XQ Series Standalone DVR's. The Hard Disks are being connected via the SATA interface.

The software used for this remote access over the TCP/IP network to the DVR's is Nemon2. Appears to be very good software.

Sometimes the Sata Hard Disks are dropping off the DVR units, so no recording is taking place and sometimes no errors are being generated. The installation of a UPS makes this problem less frequent. I have activated events for 'VIDEO LOSS', 'HDD BAD' & 'HDD FULL' sending notifications by email and UDP packets to a monitoring program I have written.

I would like to be able program a function to remotely request an image or HDD Status from these DVR's to prove that the Hard Disk's are working. The Nemon2 software has the functionality to request a single frame and save it as a screenshot as a JPEG.

The DVR manual etc. states that the units are Linux based.

So, my question -

What protocol/interface specification is the Nemon2 software using to interface to the DVR's ?

Thanks In Advance.

Ross Allan

New Zealand

Hello Ross,

In the light of you described scene, I assume most likely is power current cause those abnormal conditions. As you mentioned after you install UPS then mitigated it happens. I was wondering which type of car you install that and how many power voltage supply out cigrate plug, does UPS has euipped AVR and how is power capacity at UPS?

Another issue are you on or off the DVR when turn off enginee?

Hi Joseph

The DVR/Hard Disk/Camera/Infra Red Light setups are either on buildings or on platforms on top of metal poles.

The UPS units are 1000va plugged into 230 volt power feeds.

The area where this is set up would be about 10 square kilometers, bounded on 2 of 4 sides by a river, with 6 roads providing road access otherwise. The installation of the system has reduced burgularies in the area to a major degree.

At present, the only way to verify that the Hard Disks are working is to log into the setup screen on each DVR. I know the UPS's will probably greatly reduce the probabilty of Hard Disks dropping off, but I would like to set up a simple automatic test run regularly on each DVR to verify the hard disks are working.

Best Regards

Ross

Hello Ross,

First of all, I misunderstanding your orginal thread but clear now for check again. I think HDD droping off DVR most likely is hardware issue not for remote software NEMON. As you mentioned it get more less after you install UPS. So I assume there are may some factor may caused that Phenomenon.

One is power current is not stable and spike/surge to effect the DVR so why I ask you does UPS has incorprated auto voltage regulator (AVR). Second, is how is temeprature over there, if sunlight is too high to DVR retain operation.

Then you can check HDD mode to default over-write otherwise when HDD is stuff fulled then it would be stop. Finally, I have check specification of DVR, I think you can install mobile phone apps to remote view the real-time scene.

I hope these info has value for you.

Good Morning Joseph

I agree the hard disk dropping off will be a hardware issue. The DVR's are quite a distance from the Electric Power Exchange with Motors being ussed on the farms near by. The electric power is known to not very good with fluctuations in voltage, surges and spikes.

A UPS will deal with the voltage fluctuations, surges and spikes. Temperature is not an issue. We are having a fairly cool summer. Too many winds blowing up from the Southern Ocean. On the setup screen you can see the temperature of the CPU's which is normal.

The hard disks are configured to overwrite when full. I have seen this Hard Disk fault with disks at 99% full and 40% full.

The DVR does have the mobile phone app available. The mobile phone app while useful still means one has to check for the hard disks manually.

Maybe I will have to do some TCP and UDP Packet sniffing to get what I want.

Thank you for your reply.

Best Regards

Ross