pauldimler

Problems with Remote View

I set up an 8 channel surveillance system at my brother in laws business and cannot view cameras remotely. We have Comcast business class and are using their Buisness IP Gateway router connected to a customer owned Netgerar WNDR3400. Im good with setting up electronics, but when networking comes around, I'm stumped. Numerous WIFI devices and 2 directly connected desktops, Direct connect Printer and the Honeywell HRG85 DVR. I can view the DVR using the HRG app from Honeywell on my phone but only when on the same Network. I've tried using dyndns but still to no avail. Not sure what im doing wrong. Any help is appreciated.

I have the nearly the same setup at my office, you have to do port forwarding twice actually. I will just make a drawing of the way mine is setup so you can get your head around it. The Comcast gateway is generally setup on the 10.1.10.xxx network and the Netgear is setup in the 192.168.x.x network. The Netgear router will actually have a WAN IP of 10.1.10.XXX to put it on the same subnet as the Comcast gateway. I have three different things in my office that need remote access, that is why you see three entries forwarding to 10.1.10.2.

Here is a drawing and a screen shot of my actual gateway:

Comcast.png.278952646a62927d65c6126134ace08e.png

gateway.png.8512fc7be7e0d473514b876e31828f34.png

I actually use a Cisco router, but here is what my setup looks like there. You will need to make sure and add the DNS entries here or it won't work for some reason. I also noticed that when I added the third DNS for Google, things got just a bit more responsive.

router.png.ae713934b96bfdf54284d3ece3f20720.png

The other option is plug your DVR into the second port of your Comcast router. If you do this make sure DHCP is turned off in Comcast router and assign a static for your DVR. If you have business class with static IPs you can assign the second static. This saves you from 2 issues compare to doing the double NAT routing.

Issues you may encounter:

1. Same address can be used inside and outside. Some routers require you to use internal IP when using a phone or browser and an outside address when your remote device has an external IP. There are ways around this but with dual NAT routing added to the equation, it gets ugly fast and can reduce your performance.

2. The static IP assignment does not require DYNDNS setup. Although DynDNS does work. I find the time you really need it to work the DNS update didn't sync. Obviously this is optional.

There are several other ways but not as clean and straight forward. Some have complained of latency issues when dual routing and others say it was fine. All depends on equipment.

Side Note:

Are you using the internal router primarily because it has WIFI? I see most people using double routers because the second one provides Wifi. If you only want the wifi capability:

1. Turn off DHCP in the Netgear.

2. Remove cable from WAN port of Netgear and plug into one of the LAN ports.

3. Make sure DHCP is enabled in Comcast

4. Create your IP subnet

5. Assign an IP address for your internal Netgear (Not your gateway) address.

Comcast router is now your new gateway. Netgear WAN port is not used. Wireless still connects with devices using Comcast direct. You may even notice faster performance.

This can cause problems unless you setup a proper multicast environment. My 2nd router did not support a bridge mode, which is why I went this way. I also had to dummy proof it for other people in the office and this was the easiest way.

I would suggest getting away from the Blackberry phone. Development for those phones stopped quite some time ago, and you will have a much easier time dealing with either an Android or iOS (Apple) device. My personal preference is Android, but most developers launch their iOS versions first because for a variety of reasons I won't get into here.

Yeah if you use Android, you have numerous FREE apps you can use on Android and also on Iphone and Ipad.

Remote viewing on the QVIS is via CMS or PSS. Although the PSS is more feature rich MOST of my customers

prefer the CMS Version 3.0.9. It may be that your QVIS DVR only works with PSS in which case you have no choice.

QVIS iZeusHD vers 1 is one that I remember only uses PSS and also Zeus Mk11 I believe

CMS is very easy to use, has enough features for a single system.

Remember to restrict your DVR password to six digits or CMS won't work.

For Blackberry APPS first dowload this comapttibility list and see if your phone is compatible

Then check what your DVR model is ONLY apollo and Zeus Models (not LX models) will work with this app

One other tip I can offer is that the IP address of your DVR should be static, but with some routers you can set the DNCP then let the router assign a IP address and then turn the DHCP off again. Some routers require the static IP of your device to removed from the DHCP range in the router so look for this. After noting the media port (under Network) and the MObile monitor port (under Netservices)

also note the RTSP port (usually 554) and port forward these ports under a single rule or application and assign it to your DVR;s IP address . Personally I always set my DVR's IP address (device identifier, the last number) to 200 -210. i.e. typically 192.168.0.200

If you can tell me what DVR model you have I may be able to recommend a blackberry app as some QVIS DVRs have apps that support Blackberry, but I would agree that you have a better choice of apps with Apple and Android.

Here you can download the latest CMS version.

Here You can download the PSS if your DVR is a Apollo or Zeusnot to be confused with Apollo LX and Zeus LX (LX range Includes full Discovery Range)