Sign in to follow this  
joer1989

Help needed setting up a cctv system to tv

Hi everyone, I'm new to the whole cctv system thing so please be gentle with me.

I've just bought one of these http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FLOUREON-1X-8CH-Full-D1-DVR-4X-IP66-Outdoor-Camera-4X-Indoor-Camera-CCTV-kit-/360812156978?pt=UK_CCTV&hash=item5402149832

to help deter some local thieving c**ts from snooping around my property again, or if not at least let me see who they are.

I'm an electrician by trade so the install shouldn't be difficult but the one thing I can't seem to find any info about anywhere is hooking the system up to work on my main tv in the front room whenever the cameras are activated, ie when someone walks up the drive or to the front door so I can see them coming while watching tv, so it will switch from the programme I'm watching and show the cctv while movement is being detected. Like an auto switch over type thingy?

I've tried searching all over for any thing like this but can't seem to find anything, maybe it's just my lack of technical terminology letting me down.

If anyone could point me in the right direction or tell me if anything like this even exists i would be eternally grateful, thanks in advance, Joe

If the CPU of TV were to be programmed to do displaying CCTV input, then your need would be satisfied. No TV manufacture allow these application. You better buy a small monitor for CCTV and alarm.

On the Flourien you can set an audible alarm if someone approaches. Could you not then quickly switch over from watching TV to watching the crooks if it sounds?

use an alarm output from the DVR to a relay

If you use a set top box, and don't have SCART autoswitching, use a changeover relay to switch the TV's video input between the STB and the DVR. obviously this is easier using Composite Video as only 1 wire and screen to changeover.

If you don't use a STB and have SCART autoswitching, use the relay to switch the SCART auto-switching line and set the TV up to auto-switch input

Pin 8, the switch signal pin, carries a DC voltage from the source that indicates the type of video present.

0 V–2 V means no signal, or internal bypass

4.5 V–7 V (nominal 6 V) means a widescreen (16:9) signal

9.5 V–12 V (nominal 12 V) means a normal (4:3) signal

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SCART

older TVs may support split-screen with TV on one half and SCART input on the other half.

Nobody is thinking you would buy a TV specifically to accommodate this project and that would be a slight over reaction frankly. The suggestion about the audible buzzer or alarm and then switching from your TV to your VGA/PC AV channel is about the most likely scenario. HDMI and VGA are your best options for viewing CCTV on your TV set. I personally prefer VGA as it never lets me down whereas HDMI has it's own pernickety issues.

Invest in some huge CCTV warning signs and install them where the perpetrators cannot miss them, with any luck they'll move on to the next easy target. I always find that local kids that play in the area around a home are greeat at spereadin the word' "HE;S GOT CCTV CAMERAS INSTALLED"

Do yourself a favour, allow the police to deal with the criminals and DON"T get involved yourself.