cirtemid

Run multiple Swann cameras off one power supply

Hello all. I have a Swann DVR9-4200 which came with 4 PRO-642 cameras. I've added additional cameras, each with their own power supply. The cameras I have added are 4 PRO-640 cameras, and 1 PRO-751 Problem here is that my UPS that runs the system is out of plug inputs due to all the extra power supplies. Well, the UPS is out of plug inputs that are run on a battery--there are other inputs that run like any in-wall socket, but I am using the battery sockets for the Swann system.

So I am wondering if I can get all of these cameras on one power supply by using a power splitter that links camera power lines with one power adapter. I have looked at the power supplies and this is the information I see for each camera:

I tried to make this into a really nice table, but it came out all wrong. The commas separate the values for each device. An example here is the third value in each row. These values all go with the PRO-751. The last value in each row goes with DVR. The PRO-751 has an Output (Amps ) of 1, while the DVR has an output value of 0.2(2000mA).

PRO-640 , PRO-642 , PRO-751 , DVR

Input(Volts) 100-240, 100-240, 100-240, 100-240

Input(Hz) 50/60, 50/60, ~50/60, 50/60

Input(Amps) 0.6 max , 0.6 max , 0.4 max, 0.6 max

Output(VDC) 12, 12 , 12 , 12

Output(Amps) 2 , 0.2 (2000mA), 1, 0.2(2000mA)

What I want to do is put all the cameras on one power supply. Can I use the power supply for any of the cameras and possibly run all of them with it? I have extra DVR power supplies due to a couple of bad DVR-4200 systems I received from Swann. Could I use the DVR power adapter for all the cameras?

Due to Swann stating not to use other power supplies than what is supplied for each device, I know this will void a warranty should something go wrong, and it can be a delicate procedure if it can work. I'm willing to do this if it will work.

If I can get one power adapter that is adequate for everything, that would be ideal. Not to mention it is rather difficult to get that power splitter by itself, but I digress.

Heres what you need

8 Channels of REGULATED/ FUSED 12VDC with 1 amp

This means you will need a 9amp rated 12volt DC power supply

EXAMPLE ONLY (not suggesting sale)

http://www.amazon.com/Distributed-Power-Supply-individually-Reset-able/dp/B001329H4Y

This will allow (1) 110VAC plug to power correctly your 6 channels of cameras!

Depending upon what your DVR draws you can even get a power supply that can cover that unit

IE: I have used a Q-see model for a while as a temp set-up it draws 12VDC at 2.5 Amps

and the cameras draw 12VDC at 1 amp

So I mount a 120VAC power supply unit with 8 Channels of 12 VDC at 2.5 AMP outputs

Therefore: Ch 1-7 are assigned to the cameras... Ch 8 is assigned to the DVR unit

Just make sure you have the proper powersupply for the equipment (12VDC or 24VDC or 12VAC or 24VAC, etc)

*** If you are not confident in this, hire someone who is capable of the project to assist you**

-GOOD LUCK

Wow, that is pretty involved. Yep, I'll need more qualified minds and hands than mine to tackle that one. Thanks for that information.