Sign in to follow this  
FamilyLaundry

Port forwarding problems, zmodo h.264

Greetings, Thanks for offering this forum!

I have a Zmodo h.264 and am trying to connect it to the internet for remote viewing. I have DSL service. Modem is an Actiontec GT701R, Router is a Linksys WRT54G. I cannot get the ports to open. I'm a little stupid on how this is accomplished.

First I tried to open the ports in the router. I opened 80, 5050, 6060, and 7070 as per the instructions at the zmodo networking guide here

http://kb.zmodo.com/NetworkTutorial/landingpage.html. Testing said ports not open. The Actiontec modem also has a port forwarding menu. I tried opening 80, 5050, 6060, and 7070 on TCP, 192.168.1.101, which should be the address of the DVR. Testing again said ports not open.

I am unclear on whether I need to open ports on the modem, the router, or both. I have a pretty good tutorial on how to do it on the router, but if I have to do it on the modem, I am not clear on what settings to use.

Thanks!

It appears ou have a dual routing issue.

The modem does not appears to be just a straight modem but a router too.

To clear things up:

1. Go to IP chicken. What is your address in there?

2. Go to the modem and under status or setup you should see that same address for outside/WAN

3. In the modem what is your LAN/Internal address? Is it 192.168.1.1? What is the mask? 255.255.255.0 ?

4. is DHCP turned on?

Now go to the Router WRT4G:

1. Under status or setup under outside/WAN what is the IP Address? <----Important

2. What is your LAN/Internal address? What is the mask?

The network cable attached to the DVR is plugged into which?

I assume your using the WRT45G primarily because it has wireless?

Thank you so much for the help.

The modem only has one ethernet port out the back so I don't understand why it's a router, but perhaps the terms are a bit misleading.

1. Go to IP chicken. What is your address in there?

2. Go to the modem and under status or setup you should see that same address for outside/WAN

3. In the modem what is your LAN/Internal address? Is it 192.168.1.1? What is the mask? 255.255.255.0 ?

4. is DHCP turned on?

1) 184.99.224.103

2) Yes

3)192.168.0.1

4) No, PPoE

Now go to the Router WRT4G:

1. Under status or setup under outside/WAN what is the IP Address? <----Important

2. What is your LAN/Internal address? What is the mask?

The network cable attached to the DVR is plugged into which?

I assume your using the WRT45G primarily because it has wireless?

1) I went to status page

Login type -DHCP

IP Addr 192.168.0.2

Subnet 255.255.255.0

Default gateway 192.168.0.1

Then 2 DNS settings

2) From the Setup page

Network cable plugged into router

I am using the WRT54G because of wireless for internet.

Zmodo says I need to open the ports on the modem and specify the routers address (192.168.1.1). I was specifying the DVRs address (192.168.1.101)

I am concerned about why I see a address of 192.168.0.2 on my router's status screen.

Again, thanks a lot for the reply. Quite the learning curve on this networking stuff!

Ok this should be a simple fix now that information is confirmed and you are in fact double routing.

1. In the Modem under LAN or DHCP server, is it on? If not make sure it is.

2. In your WRT54G turn DHCP off under LAN

3. The plug from your modem is most likely going into the single port labeled WAN. Unplug that and plug into 1 of the 4 ports on the LAN side.

4. The DVR has a set static IP? If not make sure it is.

5. In the modem set port forwarding to point to the DVR at 192.168.0.101 Note the third octet is "0" You will have to change the DVR from your original post.

So to confirm 192.168.0.X is your network 1=Modem (Also a router) 2=Wireless(Was a router, now just an access point) 101=DVR. DHCP "ON" for modem , off for wireless router. The modem will issue all addresses no matter which device connect via DHCP. Wireless only provides authentication to the network.

Now for device lingo made easy.

Your modem is what is referred to as a Layer 1/Layer 2 device. This means it provides the physical connection (Phone line/DSL) and the network card it uses. It is also a Layer 3 device which means it is a router (directs traffic). Router is the function not so much how it looks. For home use they combine to make it easy.

The most common misinformation is a modem has 1 port and routers have many. Buried in the fine print is the fact that your WRT54G is a router/switch/wireless gateway with a firewall built in. High end routers at data centers typically have 1 for WAN and 1 for LAN and anything else is consider optional modules. They are then plugged into dedicated firewalls and/or switches, if those features are not built in already.

Your network that start with 192.168.x.x are considered non-public routable IP addresses and used for inside network or private network.

So originally your IP chicken address WAN >>> NAT (Network Address Translation) with port forwarding was taking the outside address and telling it to forward to .101 Which it shouldn't even allow it at you wanted to point to 1.101. The traffic would hit a brick wall (the WRT54G firewall/router) WHICH had the 192.168.0.2 address. Since that is not a true routable address and the DVR was plugged into the inside network of the WRT54G, port forwarding wouldn't work.

What you have after this change is a Modem/Router/DHCP server plugged into your WRT54G Wireless AP with a 4 port switch. Notice router is not in the description since you should not have any cable plugged into the WAN port.

For reference you could double the routing and port forwarding or in the modem disable firewall or tell it that 192.168.0.2 is a DMZ. This will work BUT is not considered best practice and due to how the headers in the packet are assembled and read by each router, may cause issues. There is a lot more to it, but I will not go into it here.

For testing purposes, you internal PC should have a 192.168.0.X address

Open command prompt

Ping 192.168.0.1 (Modem)

Ping 192.168.0.2 (Wireless)

Ping 192.168.0.101 (DVR)

If you get a response on all you should be good to go. Please advise if everything is working now.

i bought h264 idvr. I want to connect it with my 3G EVO through TP wireless tp link with computer. Kindly tell me how can i connect it

thanks

i bought h264 idvr. I want to connect it with my 3G EVO through TP wireless tp link with computer. Kindly tell me how can i connect it

thanks

@khalid

Can you start a new thread? Your subject does not match the topic being discussed here. Also for your post to be answered correctly and fast, you should be more descriptive. Provide Model # of DVR, configuration, 3G EVO Model Number and TP wireless model #. Photos are a plus.

Sorry I have disappeared. Been really busy with other things.

Anyway. I got the ports open. I forwarded the ports on the modem to 192.168.0.2. Now port testing shows all forwarded ports open. However, I still cannot connect to the DVR with the IP address that IPchicken gives me. I am aware that I have a dynamic IP and that I will have to deal with that down the road, just trying to get it to work correctly first.

I am going to print out your last set of instructions and go over there today and report back with my findings. I really appreciate your willingness to help me through this. It is unusual in today's world to find people willing to share their time and expertise for free. Thanks.

Make sure you are including the HTTP port number in your address. If you IPCHicken address is 24.97.75.223 and you port if 567 then the address should look like this: 29.97.75.223:567

Funny thing I was at a customer today that had:

Att DSL Router

WAN: Internet routable

LAN: 192.168.1.1

connected to a Linksys router

Wan: 192.168.1.254

LAN: 192.168.1.1

This does not work as NAT can't distinguish between 192.168.1.1 Network A and Network B.

Funny thing was sometimes it worked and most times it didn't. I can only conclude the ARP table refreshes and comes up with alternate methods BUT by all means this shouldn't have worked at all. I have seen double NAT before but not this bad. The fix also fixed their slow network issue.