Sign in to follow this  
Shinobi

Cannot import .mp4 into Premiere Pro due to header problem

Hi guys,

I have a HIKVISION DS-2CD2532-ISW which records in H264 and outputs .mp4 files. The files can be viewed in VLC without any problem, but I cannot import the files into any video cutting program. I tried Premiere Pro and Sony Vegas. Premiere Pro states, that there is an error in the header information of the file.

I tried different solutions and bit rates, but nothing works. Do you have any idea what might be the problem?

I also tried a different OEM camera. Same codec and 720p resolution. Those videos do work!

Try the following:

1) Install Hikvision codecs. This way hopefully your programs (Premiere, etc) will be able to understand Hikvision videos.

www.hikvision.com -> support -> download -> tools -> Windows Media Player Filter

2) Use Hikvision player to export the video to a known format (Divx, Xvid, etc).

www.hikvision.com -> support -> download -> tools -> VSPlayer

the codecs did not help, but Format Converter made the file readable for premiere pro. I still hope I can figure out a way of import the files straight into those programs.

The codecs make Windows understand the file format (you can open the video from Windows Media Player, etc). It is strange that Premiere can not understand them, since I assume that Premiere would use the codecs available to Windows.

If you find any way to get it working, please post back.

MP4 = container

AVC/H.264 = codec

AFAIK, there's nothing special about the "hikvision codec" beyond the header likely getting screwed up (that may be by design from the MPEGLA) to to stop what you are trying to do. Are the files directly from camera to NAS/FTP/etc or through client software?

http://mediaarea.net/en/MediaInfo

Why are you even looking to edit it in a NLE? Client NVR software or avidemux to export times/clips required. Then you can do a simple cat/join script to make one file if you want.

MP4 = container

AVC/H.264 = codec

AFAIK, there's nothing special about the "hikvision codec" beyond the header likely getting screwed up (that may be by design from the MPEGLA) to to stop what you are trying to do. Are the files directly from camera to NAS/FTP/etc or through client software?

http://mediaarea.net/en/MediaInfo

Why are you even looking to edit it in a NLE? Client NVR software or avidemux to export times/clips required. Then you can do a simple cat/join script to make one file if you want.

Goes nuts on variable frame rate. (Is there a camera setting to fix that?)

Video
ID                                       : 224 (0xE0)
Format                                   : AVC
Format/Info                              : Advanced Video Codec
Format profile                           : Main@L4.1
Format settings, CABAC                   : Yes
Format settings, ReFrames                : 2 frames
Format settings, GOP                     : M=1, N=30
Duration                                 : 33s 0ms
Bit rate                                 : 3 942 Kbps
Width                                    : 1 920 pixels
Height                                   : 1 080 pixels
Display aspect ratio                     : 16:9
[b]Frame rate mode                          : Variable[/b]

Quick fix at the CLI.

$ ffmpeg -vcodec copy -i input.mp4 -r 30 output.mp4

Doesn't re-encode, sets the frame rate at 30, and takes seconds. Or whatever rate you had. Looks to be in sync. Find out how to do that in windows.

I'm not using the camera for surveillance, so this is why I want to be able to edit the video files.

Right now I'm using the webbrowser interface to start and stop recording. It uses almost no CPU power. Yes, there is a setting to have a fixed framerate which should help.

I will try your quick fix, but need to install ffmpeg first and is it possible to just replace the existing file? Since there will be many files in my directory, a loop would be perfect to fix all files at once.

Input.mp4 become output.mp4 but at 30fps fixed with the command. There should be a GUI for windows or something. Bash or batch script if you have a ton to "fix."

Are you doing this remotely or sitting there pressing the record button? If you're sitting there, go look at axxon next. Exporting and tagging video is really easy. IIRC it exported MKV containers too. Used next to nothing in CPU.

Let me know what setting for fixed frame rate you found. I see no setting on 2032 hikvision bullets.

ok thanks for the axxon next software. i will take a look at it. i tried to use ispy (also freeware), but it takes up a lot of cpu power and the framerate is dropping a lot. impossible to record at constant 25fps.

i will sit on the pc and press start and stop myself to create separate video files.

in the end i will have two cameras that record independent of each other.

in the configuration, i can go to "image" and select variable or constant bitrate. for constant i choose the number myself. when on variable i can choose between different image quality settings... low, middle, high, maximum

I use a program called Handbrake to convert from one format to another. It's open source, so if it doesn't work, you can just fix the source .

AFAIK, handbrake will transcode/encode the video. You would lose quality and waste time that way. Remux (just copying video stream) and fixing the frame rate is what I posted.

ok thanks for the axxon next software. i will take a look at it. i tried to use ispy (also freeware), but it takes up a lot of cpu power and the framerate is dropping a lot. impossible to record at constant 25fps.

i will sit on the pc and press start and stop myself to create separate video files.

in the end i will have two cameras that record independent of each other.

in the configuration, i can go to "image" and select variable or constant bitrate. for constant i choose the number myself. when on variable i can choose between different image quality settings... low, middle, high, maximum

Software motion record / poorly optimized software = CPU wasting

That really doesn't matter until you get into megapixel+ recording. Then it matters. Blue Iris, ispy, zoneminder, etc will kill CPU's.

axxon next, xprotect Go, ivms-4200, PSS (for dahua cameras only) = very light

Axxon next is designed for an operater to sit and monitor a screen. If you're already doing that, now then I would use that. 16 cameras + 1TB recording (doesn't matter as you would be exporting before it gets filled up) + 1 server = FREE. I think axxon is the absolute lightest NVR software out there based on my testing.

____

I don't think that fixes that unless hikvision put both settings together and just didn't document it. i.e.

Variable bit rate selected + 30fps = variable bit rate video and variable frame rate around 30fps when required

vs

Constant bit rate selected + 30fps = constant bit rate + constant 30fps

You may want to investigate that.

Give AppGeeker video converter a try, re-convert the mp4 to another mp4 format with h.264 codec. Sometimes a mp4 with a certain codec might can not be recognized by Premiere Pro.

www.appgeeker.com

Give AppGeeker video converter a try, re-convert the mp4 to another mp4 format with h.264 codec. Sometimes a mp4 with a certain codec might can not be recognized by Premiere Pro.

That looks like an encoder just like handbrake. You would want to avoid doing this at all possible as quality is reduced each time.

It's actually fairly easy, you don't even have to transcode it (as such) but you do need to rewrite the header from MPEG-PS to MPEG-4.  Then PP will import.

You need to install https://www.ffmpeg.org/ and do the following

ffmpeg -filename.mp4 -flags +global_header -vcodec copy -acodec copy filename_converted.mp4

This is very fast as it does not even transcode, just copies.

You can even delete the original after as it is basically exactly the same video payload with a rewritten header.

This works for Hickvivion IP cameras, if DVR cameras have ethe same problem this should work.

Enjoy;).