Sign in to follow this  
frazzeld

Upgrading dvr to 960H

if I upgrade my DVR from D1 to 960H will I notice the differance? cleaner image perhaps? a little more crisp on the edges etc

Thanks for your help

Yes, you can have better image with more resolution. The reason behind is that Sony sensor is there and the newer & better image signal processors are supporting it.

Yes, you can have better image with more resolution. The reason behind is that Sony sensor is there and the newer & better image signal processors are supporting it.

It doesn't work that way. At least not 100%

In order to take advantage of 960H you need to change the cameras to 960H cameras too. Your existing cameras on a 960H DVR will appear cropped and depending on DVR will be stretched. Difference of 4:3 vs 16:9

Questions:

How many cameras do you have now? Can you afford replacing? Is it just a few you need better res?

Is you existing DVR set to D1? Most inexpensive DVRs are set to CIF resolution by default or have odd configurations of 1st and 5th channel D1 and the remaining CIF. However if you have DCIF or 2CIF, I have found on occasion it looks better than D1.

If your already at D1 then upgrading cameras to 960H or HD-SDI with the latter being the preferred since you can run over existing coax. The nice thing about going hybrid, you can keep your existing and update gradually (Although that thought process, technology moves faster than you upgrade)

The edges your describing can also be the quality and lens size. I always prefer box cameras because of the greater lens options. Using a 1/2 HD lens on a 1/3" sensor fixes most edge issues. Plus a lens made in Japan.Korea,China usually in that order of high quality to just ok makes a difference. You will notice in these posts several people have upgraded lenses and found a big difference. IF you have cheap camera, there are M12 and o14 lens replacements that work wonders. Worth spending $20-28 to test.

Worse case, donate your system to charity, buy a new one and deduct on taxes for a charitable contribution.

Varascope,

I agree to you, 100%.

Good quality lens decides everything of video quality.

The 960H has been driven by Sony's sensor and its eFFio, image signal processor.

It is new one so advanced image processing has been employed. But a glitch was there.

With our video decoder from ubiqmicro, we learned that Sony's sensor, 1st generation of 960H, were in trouble providing 4:3 aspect ratio. The picture were taken as Flatwider. Girls did not like being seen Fat. Not sure whether 2nd ones are doing OK,these days.

One more point, in old days, a small CIF size were forced by rather expansive HDD and a cheaper CoDec that can handle 4 Ch CIF encoding and decoding at the same time, even though camera were able to send out D1 or 960H sized video. Now HDD gets a lot bigger and cheaper and CoDec, as well. So I view that CIF recording becomes obsolete, now. CIF can be only be used for remote access substream.

if I upgrade my DVR from D1 to 960H will I notice the differance? cleaner image perhaps? a little more crisp on the edges etc

Thanks for your help

Absolutely not! First, like varascope says, 960H requires both compatible cameras and DVRs. Just changing out the DVR will not make the cameras 960H.

Then, 960H is not all it's cracked up to be. The only difference between 960H and standard definition is the aspect ratio - 16:9 versus 4:3. Essentially, that means the picture is wider but has no better resolution within a given horizontal area. A 4:3 image is about 3/4 (75%) of the width of a wide screen 16:9 image. 960*.75=720 so a 960H camera gives equivalent horizontal resolution to a 720TVL standard camera.

Actually, even 720TVL is a misstatement, since TV Lines are supposed to be measured in a square area of a screen where the width equals the total screen height (3:3 instead of 4:3 or 9:9 instead of 16:9) so 960H and 600+TVL are actually a farce. If you measure the square area as required, you would find the resolution, even if the 960 spec isn't "inflated", would be 960/16*9=540TVL, which interestingly is about the maximum horizontal resolution the NTSC system is capable of providing. Of further interest, 720/4*3 also equals 540.

Thanks for your help

Absolutely not! First, like varascope says, 960H requires both compatible cameras and DVRs. Just changing out the DVR will not make the cameras 960H.

Then, 960H is not all it's cracked up to be. The only difference between 960H and standard definition is the aspect ratio - 16:9 versus 4:3. Essentially, that means the picture is wider but has no better resolution within a given horizontal area. A 4:3 image is about 3/4 (75%) of the width of a wide screen 16:9 image. 960*.75=720 so a 960H camera gives equivalent horizontal resolution to a 720TVL standard camera.

Actually, even 720TVL is a misstatement, since TV Lines are supposed to be measured in a square area of a screen where the width equals the total screen height (3:3 instead of 4:3 or 9:9 instead of 16:9) so 960H and 600+TVL are actually a farce. If you measure the square area as required, you would find the resolution, even if the 960 spec isn't "inflated", would be 960/16*9=540TVL, which interestingly is about the maximum horizontal resolution the NTSC system is capable of providing. Of further interest, 720/4*3 also equals 540.

So my question would be, do 960h cameras natively display in 16x9? I purchased a couple 960h cameras and they are displaying 4:3 when connecting directly to a 4:3 monitor (using BNC to RCA plugged to yellow input on an old 4:3 monitor).

I should be getting a narrow image on the 4:3 monitor (skinny image) if it were a true 16x9. I'm I not correct?

Mortacci