infringer

DVR not responding to remote view?

Hey guys,

I've got a problem. My DVR has stopped responding to remote view? Meaning it is not allowing me access anymore. Does anyone have any clues how to fix this? I know I can reset it Monday morning but that doesn't help me now.

I have an ARM Electronics NDVR480G. I also have a few questions.

1) Called ARM tech support to ask a few questions and they said that the remote viewing software could not be installed on a computer with anti-virus??? How dumb is that in today's world?

2) They said only 1 user could be connected at a time? Again how dumb is that.

Does anyone have any clues on a way to better this unit? Has anyone used this unit with success or has anyone used it at all? Problems with it.

Thanks!

Downhearted at the moment

-David

The antivirus part doesnt sound right, unless it is using Scripting and something like Nortons will block scripts, but you can turn that off in Nortons. Also Nortons Worm Blocking maybe blocking the program or ports, but if it worked before, then it should work now.

I dont know that DVR, what error are you getting?

Rory

No error at all, just goes from "Connecting..." to "Waiting for a connection."

Guess I'll just have to wait until Monday and play around with it some more there.

Gonna look into what I can do, wish there was some way to upgrade firmware or something.

I did find another version of the remote viewer software that I have tried, but no luck there either.

Thanks,

-David

try telnet to the DVR and port, if not go then try connect to the router there if one exists, if it does and you can, then the connection is okay. If you cant telnet to the DVR then it has an issue. If you can telnet to it but cant connect with the remote software, then perhaps a username/password issue, or its hung.

Its a HiSharp DVR we have used them and they hang alot over the network (crappy remote software or crappy hardware, dont know), i did a review on it a while back, i would stay as far away from that DVR as possible. Normally it hung after trying to playback recorded video over the network.

http://www.hisharp.com/hisharp_eng/information02.asp?xCLASS1=2&xCLASS2=DVR&xCATNO=HS-DVR046

Ofcourse this was just my experience with that DVR ... it is rebadged by many companies that sell OEM gear.

Rory

Yep that's my DVR. Great I was wondering if I got stuck with a lemon type.

Gonna see if I can talk to the company I purchased the things through, and see if they will let me send them back and move to a better DVR. Or I could end up having to eat this Who knows.

Anyone have suggestions? Preferred name brands on standalone DVRs?

Anyone ever tried to work with the DVR and get it working properly?

Thanks,

-David

ARM has good support and you may have talked to somebody new! I would give them a call again on Monday and talk to somebody different!

Are you able to access anything else remotly on the same network? Could it be a network problem? How is your DVR on the network now? Is it forwarded from the router? Static? Can you ping the IP and get anything?

Yeah I can access anything on the network. I access via VPN.

I'll try ARM again on monday, then I'm going to start calling the company I purchased from and see if they'll let me upgrade to a better product? Maybe the 4channel Sanyo's I see they have them. (I purchased from Security Cameras Direct http://www.scdlink.com)

I'm just doing this for my family owned business, so they were the first place that had what I was looking for, and then this looked like a decent DVR.

I'm getting a little bit closer now after giving it some time, I am able to get the connection established, but still no images.

-David

Rory,

Does the Sanyo 4-channel allow more than one user to be connected at a time?

Everyone,

Here's what I was looking for in a DVR:

Currently only 4-channel (we figured as we add more we'll just add DVR's)

Networkable

Will record 24/7

Allows remote viewing

Date/Time Stamp

Ability to playback and the unit continue recording

Is there a better place for someone that isn't a licensed installer to purchase products from? Security Cameras Direct (http://www.scdlink.com) is the best place I found, they just had the widest selection.

Thanks!

-David

For what it's worth, we've not had many good experiences with HiSharp DVRs. Some of our customers had these and they seem to have the same network problem you're describing. It's almost as if they get "stuck", thinking they are still connected to a remote view client. If you power the DVR off then on again do you get the same problem? This was the only way to resolve the problem on these units.

If at all possible, I would suggest getting a different DVR if remote viewing is important. HiSharp (and other OEM models that use similar/same hardware, such as Yoko) is something I would stay away from. They seem to work ok as a low-cost standalone, but remote connectivity is a pain in the butt. Unfortunately, on many of these units you have to use the remote view to backup video which can be a real problem if you can't connect to it at all.