Sign in to follow this  
SpeedyFish

Advice designing IP/DVR system residential use

Hi, I've been doing some research on security cameras since my house was broken a while back and just recently a neighbor's house as well. I'm looking for a 6 camera setup and came across this system from costco http://www.costco.com/Lorex-8-Channel-Stratus-HD-NVR-Security-System-with-2TB-HDD-and-6-1080p-Cameras.product.100048586.html

After reading through the forums, it seemed a lot of people recommended the Hikvision cameras, particularly the DS-2CD2032-I 3MP one. I prefer the IP camera because it seems to be the trend and because a PoE install seemed easier. I went to aliexpress and received some quotes and the price is similar to the Costco setup but specifications seemed better. Any advice on which system to go with? Do any of these NVR allow remote backups or storage? I'm worried about keeping the NVR in the same house as the cameras in case its stolen. Thanks!

If I were you I would go for the NVR system because the quality of the cameras are higher. Hikvision cameras are just Chinese manufactuers of CCTV cameras. And for some pople their cameras are probably good enough for them, and we use their cameras and a lot are not 1080p quality. So you have to choose wisely on their cameras, so you dont get anything less than 1080p. Also any problem you will need to go back to the distributor or the manufactueres themselves. I would rather buy locally, just incase.

Definitely buy in the U.S. I can assure you that dealing with China for warranty and shipping something back is going to be a long painful expensive process. But I agree, get the real deal from Hikvision, not OEM from Lorex. Also, NVR's are sort of limiting and if you have a spare PC or get a cheap PC, you can get free NVR software that works great and supports a variety of cameras.

Definitely buy in the U.S. I can assure you that dealing with China for warranty and shipping something back is going to be a long painful expensive process. But I agree, get the real deal from Hikvision, not OEM from Lorex. Also, NVR's are sort of limiting and if you have a spare PC or get a cheap PC, you can get free NVR software that works great and supports a variety of cameras.

So are you suggesting going with the Costco system?