Sign in to follow this  
ccutty9005

Getting professional products

a newbie question.

I understand the distributions like ADI which is membership only, and online distributions like amazon/ebay.

What about dealers, integrators/installers, consultants and end-users?

Any tips on how to find a reputable dealer? or installers?

I think End user usually go the Costco/Lorex/Swann/Qsee/amazon/alieeexpress/ebay route.

Installers can use local distributors like Eastern/Unix/LTS/Skysonic/ADI/Tri-Ed/Winic (on east coast) and use UPS...i think the installer buys local if they need technical support/personal touch.

Prices seem lowest on alieexpress.

End user usually comes to local distributor for supply, but for distributors, if you offer better service with good price, you can try harder to persuade them to buy from you. You can post your product info. on website, or attend some exhibitions to get their name cards or visit them.

It all comes down to support and what you are looking for. If you are a small operation and want a "Backend" disributor that helps with customer issues, port forwarding, remote assistanc etc. If you have you own dedicated support in house then it comes down to level 2 support and support hours. Some distributors what you say in English and what they decipher in Chinese comes back to you in Chinglish leaving you more confused than when you first called. The other is getting the "Well it should work."

My problem with ADI, especially the Kentucky System Engineering guys is that they recommend only waht they are comfortable with. I tested the theory once by calling, already knowing the answer, and asked what is the most economical fiber converter. They gave a make and model that was $800 more than the product I already knew was in stock and comparable. When I mentioned the alternate product, they typed it in and found it then. I see it on camera recommendations as well so it leaves me to believe depending on who answers the phone, you are getting personal opinions from people that have not installed what they are selling.

It goes to teaching an old dog new tricks. IT is very concerning as a manufacturer with a new product using ADI for distribution as they won't necessarily promote the best product for the job only what they are comfortable with. From a distributor stand point and even as a dealer I think it is important to have a bit of neutrality in recommending products. Finding the best product for that particular job should be top priority. Yes increases learning time but makes you a very powerful company. This is a big reason I don't recommend the pre-packaged systems with all the same type of cameras expecting that they all suit the environment they are being installed in. How many people complain about identification on an image yet use a 2.8mm lens and want a 100ft distance identification of a face or license plate?

So in conclusion, finding professional products and a distributor that recognizes all of the above, in my opinion, is the most important.

Are you trying to find an integrator/installer in your area? What area are you in?

Finding integrator/installers that know what they are doing is always a challenge, it's like trying to find anything in the construction trade. Then the bids are so varied, even when you give them a fixed set of equipment and specific plans. I just do consulting, not installs, but would provide the specs and drawings for a project and one installer bids $2,500/camera, another bids $9,000/camera and to be honest the guy asking more knew less than the guy asking less.

There's lots of wholesale distributors, most require that you have a business license, resale permit, references to fill out the app and that's if you pay cash. If you buy on credit, there's usually a 3-4 page credit app. Careful with stuff on Amazon, eBay, may seem cheap but maybe gray market and not supported by the U.S. offices for some brands, unless you are OK with that because it's cheaper.

But if you buy camera on your own and then expect an installer to install it, 2 things happens, none of them good for you. First, if you buy the camera, you take full responsibility for the camera. So if the installer installs it and it's bad, you may have to pay the installer to uninstall it and install the replacement, same with warranty issues, say 6 months down the road, a camera dies, you are responsible for replacing it, not the installer because the installer does not have access to the warranty since you bought it. The other issue is the price you get from installers includes the profit on the cameras. Take that away and they just charge you more, so no savings for you and you can end up paying more because they may have sources that are cheaper for the camera. Honestly, if I was an installer, I would want you to buy the cameras, saves me a lot of hassle of getting them, forking out the money in advance and have responsibility if they don't work.

I think End user usually go the Costco/Lorex/Swann/Qsee/amazon/alieeexpress/ebay route.

Installers can use local distributors like Eastern/Unix/LTS/Skysonic/ADI/Tri-Ed/Winic (on east coast) and use UPS...i think the installer buys local if they need technical support/personal touch.

Prices seem lowest on alieexpress.

AGREED, you are really clear for this market. but i would say aliexpress is no good. everything shipped from china, no warranty, and wait forever.

security products are more about service. especially when something happen or when you need upgrade firmware.