rorton

UK - Putting together an IP system, coming from Analogue

Hi All,

Had an analogue system for 3 or 4 years, its Adata/Qvis stuff, which is OK, but looking at the fantastic pictures obtained from these Ip based systems, i really need to upgrade. Mine looks very poor in comparison.

Currently have an 8 cam system, with a Mini PTX 10x Optical (540tvl i think) and a mixture of Bullet and dome cams, all 700tvl with 2.8 - 11mm lens.

Looking around, it seems that the Hikvision kit is quite good value for money, so was planning on either a Hikvision 7608 or 7616 (no POE in the box, my network is already POE enabled)

Is this an Ok choice of NVR?

The cameras are where I'm getting a bit mixed up.

Some 1.3 and 2mp cams are just 3.6mm lens. Does lens no longer matter because of the extra information the cameras can capture?

For example - in my setup a could of my cams are set around 3.6 capturing larger areas for monitoring, a could are tight in perhaps 9-11mm on points of access (for ID purposes) and a PTX which does what it does. captures a largish area when not being moved, and then can be moved and zoomed at will.

Should i try and get dedicated lens types in the cams, so a few 3.6, and a few 6 and so on?

Thanks

Rich