victorb

Door sensor triggering. How to?

I have heard that some cameras support triggering via a door sensor, like a magnetic sensor you would use for a security alarm. I have a situation where I need to take a picture of everybody that goes in and out of an exterior door of a house. I have tried two outdoor cameras with motion detection, but the changes in lighting conditions cause so many false alarms it's incredible , and the camera still misses 50% of the people going in and out of the door. Motion detection is totally and completely useless.

If there are cameras that support triggering via a door sensor, what is the technological name of this feature? I have done countless google searches for, "Security Camera with door sensor triggering" and have come up empty. There must be a technical name for this feature and I am using the wrong terminology or something. I need some help here, this is actually a very serious situation that I need to take care of asap. Thanks.

The technical name is "alarm" or "alarm inputs".

Any IP camera with alarm inputs can be used with any kind of sensor, magnetic sensor, contacts, PIRs, etc.

Well, after days of searching, I finally found a camera with the specs I was looking for. I had to order it from Hong Kong because for some unexplicable reason they do not exist in the US. It is a gamble I know, but I hope it turns out okay. If anyone is interested in knowing the outcome, I will post the results.

Here is the camera.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/HD-720p-Wireless-Wifi-Outdoor-Audio-IP-Camera-Plug-Play-3x-Optical-Zoom-IR-CUT-/201040613493?pt=US_Security_Cameras&hash=item2ecef45075

I don't have a CCTV camera with door sensor. But I have two separate security systems. One is a CCTV camera and other is a security system including a motion sensor and a personal alarm system I got from AlarmCare, Toronto. I don't have any problem with them till now so I haven't looked for an alternative.

A sensor output goes into the input of the CoDec processor of the camera or DVR. What they call is GPIO pin of the CoDec. At least you should check the product you buy must have an external sensor input port on the box. Then the software they provide carries its menu for you to enable or not.