Sign in to follow this  
Citizen0100

Home CCTV over 30 Meters (90 feet)

Hi All,

I'm new here so firstly Hello!!

I'm looking for a bit of advice really, I'm looking to setup some home CCTV (obviously?) where the DVR will be in my house and a CCTV camera will be roughly 30 Meters away on a shed.

I've attached a picture to try and provide a little clarity (terrible picture sorry).

I'd like a camera on shed 2 but electric doesn't run that far down and before I expend the power (digging) I'd like to check this sound correct. I'll run BNC cable from the DVR in the house (will be kept in a bedroom) to the camera on shed 2 and then power extended underground to the camera.

Then two more camera at the top which should be a little easier to wire but my questions are:

Does BNC have a max length?

Is this the easiest method?

Any other recommendations to a noob?

Thanks

CCTV.jpg.2ee3b9331a315d9e5f47bc6a911f62e7.jpg

Any camera has no problem with 30 meters.

But analog camera can go longer because of its method of signal transmission

than IP or HD_SDI type.

It should not be an issue at all, in fact you might even be able to power the camera with a solar panel and a small battery if you wanted to. Then all you need is the video cable back to your DVR. Of curse if you are going to dig a trench, it would be just as easy to run siamese cable and provide power from the same power supply driving the other two cameras.

If you are happy to dig a trench, bury some 35mm water pipe and use that as a duct. Before you install it however, make sure to pull a rope through to pull wires cables through with. It is always a good idea to pull a second pull rope through with your wires so that you can pull more wires through later if required. Blue water pipe is idea since if it can contain water it will certainly keep it out.

If you are worried that the power won't be enough for the cameras, simply increas the cross section of the wire to offer less resistance although over 30 m unless you are using pre made cables, you probably won't have a problem 30m is NOTHING but you are right to check out before you do it if you are unsure.

For really long runs, I use 4 core 1.5mm squr mains cable and just double up the +ve and -ve.

Or you could send 24VAC down to the camera and transform it down to 12Vdc at the camera end, that way you get a nice 12V at the camera and no chance of voltage drop. I doubt you need this solution but it does help with other potential issues.

Happy digging...

Make sure the Premade 30m you buy is good enough before installing. Best to check at night, to make sure there is enough power going to the camera to power up the LED, and the resolution isnt loss. Many people focus on the camera, and not the cable, when the cable is just as important than the camera.

The cable needs to be protected.

You can buy good wireless cameras and it should work that distance. Obviously you will need to test it to make sure there isnt any interference before installing.