ImAStreamer

Hikvision v5.1 NAS struggles

OK, I've read just about everything I can find here and on other sites, and I'm pretty much at my wits end, but I assume a lot of other people are as well. I'm curious if ANYONE has a Hikvision with v5.1 firmware saving successfully to a Synology NAS (even after the camera and/or NAS reboots)?

I really don't want to have to dedicate a machine to BI (or invest in a dedicated NVR).

The NFS service is running on the Synology.

I created a shared folder with full rights on the Synology.

In the Hikvision software I add the address, file path to the shared folder and select mounting type NFS.

When I go to Storage Management, I always get the drive results as capacity=0, free space=0.

This never works.

I go back and select mounting type CIFS with username/password.

When I go to Storage management, I see capacity=2746.22GB, free space=0, status=Uninitialized.

I click format.

It seems to work and gives a status of Normal after creating 16 datadir folders with 230 empty .mp4 files in them.

I click save, but do NOT leave that page.

I test the motion and it appears to update the hiv00000.mp4 file in the datadir0 folder with the actual recording.

When I go to the Playback tab - it says that no files have been recorded, there is nothing to play even though a file has been recorded.

As soon as I leave the Storage Management tab and return to it, the drive status returns to Uninitialized.

No recordings ever get saved after that.

The hiv00000.mp4 file that does not appear in the Playback tab can be played in VLC and FFMPEG can read it (although it looks as though the header may be off because it doesn't report a length and it doesn't scrub properly).

I have 2 new Hikvisions and while the quality seems great, I can't believe they let this firmware out in the wild with such a critical problem.

Can anyone help to get this to work without needing to go in with a hex editor and risk something that will end up turning them into expensive doorstops?

Thanks!

Hello,

I have a Syno DS414.

Did you try to work with Surveillance station ?

I'm using 5.1 firmware, and everything is working well. (some bugs though - example : Ihad to set my cams as PSIA devices because my Syno doesn't know DS-2CD2332-I / can't tell surveillance station to use hik cams video resolution, otherwise it tells me camera is not connected, so I force it to the same resolution...)

Hello,

I have a Syno DS414.

Did you try to work with Surveillance station ?

I'm using 5.1 firmware, and everything is working well. (some bugs though - example : Ihad to set my cams as PSIA devices because my Syno doesn't know DS-2CD2332-I / can't tell surveillance station to use hik cams video resolution, otherwise it tells me camera is not connected, so I force it to the same resolution...)

I didn't want to spend any more money than I already have. With 4 cameras I'll eventually be installing it really adds up. If I have to purchase something, I'd just get BI and use the server I'd have to run it on for other stuff.

So are you saying though that it didn't write to the Synology until you installed Surveillance station?

Also are you saying that by setting the camera as a PSIA device, you lose some of the resolution of the camera (like you couldn't run the camera in 3MP mode)?

I recently ventured into building my own nas (HP Microserver Gen8, ESXi with 4 virtual machines running) using xpenology (synology) and I have 3 drives in SHR (RAID5) and one more drive that is virtually partitioned into 500GB volumes for synology.

In the end, my configuration is:

Volume 1 (6TB, 3 drives, raid 5)

Volume 2 (500GB)

Volume 3 (500GB)

Volume 4 (500GB)

I can in theory add three more 500GB partitions using the 3TB drive that I have. Knowing the limitations of the Hikvision cameras with NFS and NAS, now each camera can have its own volume and hence, the space and free space never changes and the cameras now work very nicely with the synology.

Let me know if anyone has any questions regarding my setup.

Never tried to record from my Hik Webui to my Syno, so I didn't have your issue.

I don't if you loose the 3MP using PSIA on Syno (I think it has been discussed on others threads that says "yes you loose it" but I don't remember if it concerns PSIA mode).

OK, I've read just about everything I can find here and on other sites, and I'm pretty much at my wits end, but I assume a lot of other people are as well. I'm curious if ANYONE has a Hikvision with v5.1 firmware saving successfully to a Synology NAS (even after the camera and/or NAS reboots)?

I really don't want to have to dedicate a machine to BI (or invest in a dedicated NVR).

The NFS service is running on the Synology.

I created a shared folder with full rights on the Synology.

In the Hikvision software I add the address, file path to the shared folder and select mounting type NFS.

When I go to Storage Management, I always get the drive results as capacity=0, free space=0.

This never works.

I go back and select mounting type CIFS with username/password.

When I go to Storage management, I see capacity=2746.22GB, free space=0, status=Uninitialized.

I click format.

It seems to work and gives a status of Normal after creating 16 datadir folders with 230 empty .mp4 files in them.

I click save, but do NOT leave that page.

I test the motion and it appears to update the hiv00000.mp4 file in the datadir0 folder with the actual recording.

When I go to the Playback tab - it says that no files have been recorded, there is nothing to play even though a file has been recorded.

As soon as I leave the Storage Management tab and return to it, the drive status returns to Uninitialized.

No recordings ever get saved after that.

The hiv00000.mp4 file that does not appear in the Playback tab can be played in VLC and FFMPEG can read it (although it looks as though the header may be off because it doesn't report a length and it doesn't scrub properly).

I have 2 new Hikvisions and while the quality seems great, I can't believe they let this firmware out in the wild with such a critical problem.

Can anyone help to get this to work without needing to go in with a hex editor and risk something that will end up turning them into expensive doorstops?

Thanks!

Same problem, did you ever find a fix?