fas

Do you charge for service calls?

I had to change my user name from fas to fas2 as there was a problem logging in. My question is: after installation, do most of you train your client on how to operate the system, and do they understand everything? For example, if they need to backup a few minutes of footage for some reason, and the backup has to be done via usb memory stick, and they call you to do it, do you charge for that?

if it's in the operator manual/book and they don't know how to read, or care not to read, then I charge them for the visit. Just be upfront BEFORE they ask, and don't surprise them via a bill. They can always say no thanks.

I also charge them for any visits to court to explain the system, ect. The customer obviously hired you for a service and will try to get as much from that for free. If your talking a larger profit vice a smaller one I'd sometimes overlook the charges and suck it up to that trip to hawaii I got from it. Cheapsters?.....I got bills too

We always make customers sign off after we finsh a project. To make sure that they understand that if we can help them over the phone its free but if we have to come off its a billable service call

Depending on what the call was regarding would definitely decide wether to charge or not.I always try to explain as much as possible without confusing the end user.

Being a new business i want to leave a good impression so i don't charge for them being lazy or can't read but i gave them 2 lazy calls then I charge, 40$ just to go there then minimum of 40$ or 80$/hrs, thats what every one elses charge around here...

We state at the time of the sale that we will not support:

Setting up the DVR on their network.

Helping them Burn a DVD/CD.

Anything that really has nothing to do directly with our systems and involves another company (ISP, Nero, etc)

But, we always end up helping them. At least pointing them in the right direction. We charge for service calls by the travel time(usually $40-$85) and Labor Hours($85/hour). But, then again if it is a client who has been very nice and easy to deal with and could have the potential for referrals or repeat business we will sometimes cutthem a break.

Case by Case I guess I am trying to say.

Glad to hear these type of responses.

I often question this issue myself as the inevitable question seems to arrise even years later. "How do a back up again?" All the training, manuals and good documentation will not replace real world experience. Lazy/slow/inexperienced users will always need someone to help them later on down the line. It might as well be you! No sense letting someone else get your $$. This IMHO needs to be billed whether it be in the initial bid or a service contract or just on a as needed basis. It keeps the client satisfied either way if you just let them know what you are doing.

Number One Question, Post Sale from an End User:

"How do I back up to a CD/DVD again???"

Answer:

Read the Huge 36 point print on the green quick start guide provided to you.

i've gotten more sales from other vendors that have screwed over their customer on service calls ($800 charges because the vendor had to rent a lift to reach an outdoor camera, etc.)...remember how dificult it was to get this customer, dont lose them by charging them 250bucks for 10min worth of work.. but i also know the biz is not a charity but i make sure in the first year i pad 3-4 extra calls into the price of the system so that i cover myself for the "how do i do this again" calls. happy customers give referrals and give you more business.

Edited by Guest

happy customers giver referrals and give you more business.

I heard that. 50% of my business is just that..referrals. And those people make the best customers due to the fact they already have a blind trust in you.

I would have to say 80% to 90% of my business is referralls. But i have a plan and implement it to get those. But ya in order to do that I have to provide excellent customer service. Usually what we do is if and when we set them up online I will reserve a administrator password for myself and also enable the remote managment function on their router/firewall/gateway or whatever. So in the instance they need something figured out in relation to settings and software funcitions I will do it from the office or my house. If we have to go out anytime past 60 days we generally charge 65 an hour we are out there. But we do give a whole hell of a lot of freebies out that we should charge for.

As a lot of the posters here state every case is different, we have taken some good contracts over (chains like Burgerking) in our area by not being to quick to charge for small things.

Sometimes the manager who needs to burn to CD is not the person who was trained etc.

Its a fine line though as they can end up expecting you to do loads for free.

Swings & roundabouts