carito

Dahua 3208 or 5208? AND Outside Cameras?

Hello. Well Ive been sitting here the last couple of hours reading a ton of stuff. Essentially I now feel like I have fried my brain.

So I'd like to install my 1st set of IP cameras. From what I can tell I'd like to get up to 6 installed. So far 5 of them will be outside and 1 inside.

I was looking at the dahua 2308 and 5208 as they seem to have pretty good reviews and seem to do what I want:

Remote view from browser

Remote view from Android phone

Email Alert

Local Storage

(Would like perhaps option of replicating to NAS and or FTP upload)

Seems like I read the 5208 can connect to a NAS device? Would that mean I can record to the local HDD and them perform a scheduled replication to a NAS somewhere on my network? Would either of these give me FTP upload to a site should I buy some storage? Already read the suggestions about having a crappy NVR in plain site and the real one hidden. Is there another unit you might recommend that is in the $500 range?

How about cameras? Since most of mine will be outside. Can someone lead me in the right direction on what to look for. I see some that look like they are surrounded by a ton of LEDs some not so much. How do I decide on that ? Another thing I'm confused about. I see some of the IP cameras have SD slots. Does this mean that the camera CAN record to the SD card AND the NVR? Id really like to keep the cost of the door cameras under $200 if possible.

Thanks

Carito

Does anyone know if you get the 1TB version if you can just replace with another larger drive later?

Im thinking this thing pretty much has what I want. At least for a starter.

Can someone tell me if I get this unit, can I pretty much use any name brand camera with it??

I see some nvr's say compatible with most 3rd party cameras, and some explicitly list which 3rd party cameras. I found this nvr on amazon but they only have three of the same brand cameras. Guessing that's because of the thread I read this morning where it says Dahua wants all its products rebranded in the US.

Are then any specific brand cameras other than dahua you guys would recommend to go with that will work well with this unit?

thx