SSSlippy

Software for tracking product through fixed cameras

I deal with a lot of warehousing I have heard of but not confirmed that's its possible to select a box and the system will track that will show you where that box shows up on the recordings. Has anyone heard of such a thing?

That typically requires a third party analytics engine, but yes it can be done. You might be better off using an RFID system that can track multiple items all at the same time. You can also have an RFID system that will send alarm signals to your camera system to give you video of the suspect area. Usually this alarm is set within 10 feet of an exit door or other sensitive area. If you are serious about this, hit me up with a PM but generally projects like this start at about $30,000 and go up pretty quickly.

Do you know what analytic system can do this? RFID will not cut it as a large chunk of our warehouses run as crossdocks and inventory is only there for a day not long enough to spend the money/manpower to tag anything.

Well ObjectVideo is the first one that comes to mind. If you are tracking people, you might also be able to use the PTZ tracking goodies from IOImage. There are a few others that are escaping my memory right now, but that should be enough to get you started.

Where are you located?

All product has a unique identified that is scanned in. The goal requested by management is to be able to highlight a piece a have the system track where it goes and what truck it goes onto in case of theft.

This sounds a lot like what UPS is doing at their WorldPort, but that is mostly on conveyor belts not manually handled. To be honest, this forum may not be the best place to discuss a project of this type. It is a nice place to get started, but just based on your description I can see this getting pretty complex in a hurry.

We have built a barcode tracking system for logistics, it's built-in in our VMS. It tracks the barcodes and dimensions of packages and leaves an entry to database. Clicking this entry shows the event from linked cameras. So it is possible in some scale atleast.

I'm pretty sure this could be expanded to tracking thru multiple recorders, but there must be dedicated systems/software for what you want.