fas

Memory Stick Backup?

I posted this question before, but inside of another thread, so I'm not sure if anyone has seen it. You probably have, as I have been asking a lot of questions lately...

The dvr I am looking at can only be backed up via usb memory stick. About how long of video will I be able to back up with a 256 memory stick? I am looking at the nuvico nvjv-4000. I know there are a lot of factors that go into this, but I am just looking at a ballpark figure, like 30 seconds, or 1 minute, etc. Thanks.

a 256mb will hold 256 mb.........................time is not a factor, the video file size is. you'll fill that in a NY minute!

That's what I'm asking... Will I get at least 60 seconds out of a 256mb stick? Also, do you provide your customers with the memory stick, and if not, how do you tell them to back it up? Thanks.

We put DVD/CD burners in all of our systems. If any back up is done we recommend using the burner. If a USB stick is needed we charge extra.

Are you just saying that because there is only a USB port on the DVR? There are all kinds of USB options including burners and USB hard drives.

256 MB stick will get you seconds or minutes depending on your resolution and frame rate (are there other factors that affect filesize?).

I am talking about the nuvico nvjv-4000 dvr. Here is the link to the specs:

http://www.2mcctv.com/specs/NVJV-4000.pdf

It does not give an option to use anything but a memory stick via usb. That is why I am wondering what size memory stick I should get. If anyone knows this unit, and has used it, what other options do I have?

Ok, if the DVR does backup in M-Jpeg format follow this rule:

1 day (24Hours) in M-Jpeg depending on image quality settings you will need about 4-7GB. Break that down into hours you will need 166-291MB per Hour. So if indeed it does output backups in M-Jpeg w/ no audio you can use this as a general rule of thumb.

I would probably get a 512MB-1GB mem stick.

But then again I dont know the DVR that well I am just going on other machines I have used in the past.

I filled 2 CDs before with 30 Minutes of video from 13 cameras on a GE Stand Alone DVR recording in Wavelet. It depends on the cameras used - Image File Size.

Make sure that the DVR supports memory sticks larger than 512mb. I know some of them don't support the bigger memory sticks!

Also, there is always the video out connection. You can sometimes charge a service fee to come out and transfer video onto a "laptop" or VCR for them! Of course they can always hook up a VCR to backup to as well.