Sign in to follow this  
jhussain

128 IP Camera System

Hello All

I am working on a project to install 128 IP cams for campus security. I am planning to use HIKVISION 3MP cameras. The campus people need video record of 3 days. (A mix of continuous and motion triggered).

They will also need live monitoring of almost 30 cameras at a time.

What are my options for NVR? I was planning to deploy two Dell PowerEdge R720 servers with a software based NVR on each of them and distribute cams across both. However I am skeptic about the choice of software as well as performance issues.

Will an embedded NVR system be more suitable for me?

Please advise how should I plan for the requirements. Please advise vendors which you know to be the best for requirements such as these.

Thank you all in advance!!

whoever you choose for software, make sure you do a system design. 64 cameras per server with 3MP cameras where each camera could possibly be

pushing 4-12Mbps of bandwidth of course depending on frame rate you use but, that's like 384Mbps of bandwidth to each server if the cameras are saying doing 6Mbps each. Then if you are looking to view 30 cameras at a time, i'd suggest a good graphics card and station, (yes i know sunnykim you can do it all with an $80 card full streams - ).. You shouldn't be viewing your video from the R720's as their built-in graphics cards are not designed for constant viewing of live/recorded video. Also, for a large project like this i'd highly recommend you receive a demonstration of the software for whoever you choose.

Ones to look at would be Avigilon, Genetec, Exacq, Milestone, VideoInsight, and i'm sure others would have suggestions.

last thought is also the network design - do they have a network infrastructure already? will you be supplying poe switches? are cameras within 330' of a

wiring closet or the main computer room? if there are several wiring closets how are you getting back to the head end room? via fiber or copper. Use managed gigabit poe switches.

just my .02

EricQ,

I already replied to Jhussain. The issues are how to encrypt/protect our software with some Hardwares and some Customization to each customers' need. The project becomes mostly a huge one,we experience. We are looking for some partners to support the projects for each region and countries. If you coming to ISC 2014, Next week, you can give me a call for meeting.