Sign in to follow this  
KGP

Need advice and guidence

Hello,

I found this forum that I never knew existed. Probobly because I had no need to know in the past. I am now in the market for a system and would like to buy something new.

My situation is as follows:

I have a small indoor space that I would like to have 4 cameras in. This space is part of a retail store front and warehouse. I know that 4 cameras is enough to cover the entire area. I am only at this location about 20% of the time and would like to monitor what is going on from an offsite location. I also would like to be recording the video incase of a hold-up or a robery while noone is there.

Questions:

The space i need to monitor does not feel to be the best place to have a recorder. If there was a robery, I would not want the recorder holding the video to be stolen at the same time. There are not many hidding places this could be kept. Is it possible to record offsite or thru a dedicated server (either owned by myself or rented month to month) that is not onsite?

Needs/wants.

I would like to be able to view in real time (or slight delay) what is going on over the internet. I believe this to be possible.

Budget:

I was looking at spending some money, but I am trying to keep it under $1500 for the system. If I have to spend more to get what I am looking for, I am willing to do so. I would like to spend the money OFF of ebay and with a vendor who is able to support any questions I may have in the future if I call them.

If there are any vendors on here who think they can help me, please let me know your phone number for me to call and discuss my needs and help me thru this. I am ready to buy, I just need help.

Thanks!

being able to see what is happening in the dark (for over night) would be a big plus too!

If you do not want to have the recorder on site, then a good 4-chanel video server with the right cameras may be the best solution.

Can consider this, the ACTi SED-2300Q 4-channel MPEG4 video server:

http://www.acti.com/Web_AdministratorV2/CatalogV2/DataSheet/{CC9A2768-1776-42A0-8C6F-EECEDD15D1F.PDF

1 of this plus 4 pieces of infrared cameras should cost you below US$1,000.

But to record the video offsite, you would need a good broadband connection, at least 512 Kbps uplink speed: the SED-2300Q requires 128 Kbps per channel for a good quality CIF size 5 fps video stream.

Thanks for the reply. I still dont know what all the specs mean. I guess talking to someone on he phone would be best for me.

At least I know that it is possible to not have the recorder on site. I guess if the upload speed is a factor, maybe something can be build to hid the recorder.

This thread talks about securing / hiding the recorder:

http://www.cctvforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=3796

Thanks for the link. Actualy yesterday I did find a good place that will work for me.

Now that I have concluded that the recording CAN be on site... what system (I am looking for a package here) would suit the remaining needs?

4 cameras, digital recording, and able to view via internet at any time.

I did some reading thru the site yesterday and found some info on the motion detection recording. This sounds like a good option. I could live with the style that records all the time and speeds up the frames when motion is detected. (i forget the term you guys used for this, sorry)

Any more help? Thanks again so far! You guys are great, glad I found this place!

I've observed the SED-2300Q needing only 56k for 5fps @ CIF, but I might have one of the earlier batches.

You are right indeed, that the MPEG4 ASP codec used by SED-2300Q can stream a 5 fps CIF size video at 56 Kbps.

But there is a lots of sacrifices on the image quality, especially for moving objects. From what I have tried out, 56 Kmps streaming speed is adequate only for CIF size 2 fps.

Really? I didn't notice any change after changing it from 56k to 128k. Of course, I'm streaming it over a CDMA card for testing on another application, so the available bandwidth (very little) might be limiting it.

Ok, I have not checked back on here in a while and I STILL need help with a system. Are there any vendors that can contact me to talk for a minute and let me know what system would be good for me? I am ready to buy and do not want to wait much longer...

How good are you with computers? How about risk... Say ~$150.

Basically I have a valid solution for you but it's partially untested, I see no reason for it not to work but until you try you don't know for sure.

You can use one of the other 2 PCs for redundent storage, then you have doubled the chances of having evidence. Really though if you are cool with some risk, I'm going to tell you to install everything above the drop ceiling. Very low chance of it getting discovered. Especially if you use the TV out to TV with dummy VCR trick.