ultimase

logitech powerline adapters and ip cameras

Hello all,

A bit of a newbie to ip cameras, but trying to get into it to get some idea of setting up a system.

Originally the idea was to have a camera on the front door so that we could see who was at the door before answering it. From this I found the logitech alert cameras, specifically the indoor camera with a suction cup.

After reading more and more and dreaming more and more, my solo camera has now snowballed into multiple. The problem is doing actual wiring and cutting into the house isn't going to be too feasible. Because of this the logitech alert cameras are very attractive because of the powerline adapter.

After reading some more I realized that the logitech cameras were basically PoE camera with the powerline adapters. Because this I'm now thinking that I could get the powerline adapters from logitech and run other PoE cameras instead of logitech's line. I realize that I'd have to use blueiris or another software to view them, and I'd have to learn quite a bit about port forwarding etc. but I'm wondering if this is feasible in the first place.

Ideally, I'd like to run at least three cameras of at least 720p each with it's own powerline adapter. I'm attracted to the logitech adapters as they apparently are both powerline adapters and PoE as well.

Anyone have any suggestions? or is this even possible?

hmm only 18 views, but no suggestions. Was my post too confusing? or did I miss something I should have read first?

One big question comes to mind. Are you looking for a bunch of non-Logitech indoor-only wireless IP cameras set up to look through windows? If so, that's not a popular option on here. Most will recommend biting the bullet and drilling a few little holes to run Cat5 through to outdoor cameras if you're looking to upgrade to proper locations for cameras to record outside the home. Why isn't that considered an option?

Hello all,

A bit of a newbie to ip cameras, but trying to get into it to get some idea of setting up a system.

Originally the idea was to have a camera on the front door so that we could see who was at the door before answering it. From this I found the logitech alert cameras, specifically the indoor camera with a suction cup.

After reading more and more and dreaming more and more, my solo camera has now snowballed into multiple. The problem is doing actual wiring and cutting into the house isn't going to be too feasible. Because of this the logitech alert cameras are very attractive because of the powerline adapter.

After reading some more I realized that the logitech cameras were basically PoE camera with the powerline adapters. Because this I'm now thinking that I could get the powerline adapters from logitech and run other PoE cameras instead of logitech's line. I realize that I'd have to use blueiris or another software to view them, and I'd have to learn quite a bit about port forwarding etc. but I'm wondering if this is feasible in the first place.

Ideally, I'd like to run at least three cameras of at least 720p each with it's own powerline adapter. I'm attracted to the logitech adapters as they apparently are both powerline adapters and PoE as well.

Anyone have any suggestions? or is this even possible?

i used a 6 logitech alert camera system before, i've since upgraded, but... i still have 2 of the logitech alert POE adapters in use with 2 of my newer 3MP cameras. They work well. I use synology surveillance station.

The logitech alert POE is very handy, being POE and powerline in one. I would use it in a pinch.

One big question comes to mind. Are you looking for a bunch of non-Logitech indoor-only wireless IP cameras set up to look through windows? If so, that's not a popular option on here. Most will recommend biting the bullet and drilling a few little holes to run Cat5 through to outdoor cameras if you're looking to upgrade to proper locations for cameras to record outside the home. Why isn't that considered an option?

The front door camera I can see no other way to get a camera to look through the door. I haven't seen other cameras that I could mount and be able to see the person's face. Because of that I may have to purchase one of logitech's indoor cameras. Now whether the IR would reflect from the window and blind the camera I'm not entirely sure. The logitech tech seemed to think it would be fine, but I'm not so sure. All the other options I can see for an outdoor camera would have to be mounted fairly high, and unfortunately I don't have easy access to the crawlspace here. That and mounting a camera that high would give me a great view of the top of the person's head, but I wouldn't be able to see much in terms of facial features.

As for the outdoor cameras. The way my home is setup it looks like I can position outdoor cameras near either the garage door or a window. This is why the logitech system is so appealling to me. I can run the outdoor bullet just outside the window, and run a thin cat-5/6 back under the window track to the logitech power adapter. Or in the garage's case run the thin cat 5/6 cable back to the door's insulation and tuck it under, I have a outlet fairly near the garage door that I can use.

The areas that I'd like to monitor I can actually record through a window, though I realize that the quality and my ability to see at night will be largely dimished.

i used a 6 logitech alert camera system before, i've since upgraded, but... i still have 2 of the logitech alert POE adapters in use with 2 of my newer 3MP cameras. They work well. I use synology surveillance station.

The logitech alert POE is very handy, being POE and powerline in one. I would use it in a pinch.

The simplicity of having the powerline and the poe in one small package is attractive, that and the adapters don't appear to be that much more than the other adapters I've found elsewhere. The majority of powerline adapter's I've found seem to only provide the internet pathway, and most appear to need some sort of injector to provide the PoE side of things.

Are there other powerline devices that seem to be well suited? I know I can get a POE switch and run that, but the distances between where I'd like the cameras would really only benefit one of the camera to buy a POE switch.

The front door camera I can see no other way to get a camera to look through the door. I haven't seen other cameras that I could mount and be able to see the person's face. Because of that I may have to purchase one of logitech's indoor cameras. Now whether the IR would reflect from the window and blind the camera I'm not entirely sure. The logitech tech seemed to think it would be fine, but I'm not so sure. All the other options I can see for an outdoor camera would have to be mounted fairly high, and unfortunately I don't have easy access to the crawlspace here. That and mounting a camera that high would give me a great view of the top of the person's head, but I wouldn't be able to see much in terms of facial features.

As for the outdoor cameras. The way my home is setup it looks like I can position outdoor cameras near either the garage door or a window. This is why the logitech system is so appealling to me. I can run the outdoor bullet just outside the window, and run a thin cat-5/6 back under the window track to the logitech power adapter. Or in the garage's case run the thin cat 5/6 cable back to the door's insulation and tuck it under, I have a outlet fairly near the garage door that I can use.

The areas that I'd like to monitor I can actually record through a window, though I realize that the quality and my ability to see at night will be largely dimished.

The simplicity of having the powerline and the poe in one small package is attractive, that and the adapters don't appear to be that much more than the other adapters I've found elsewhere. The majority of powerline adapter's I've found seem to only provide the internet pathway, and most appear to need some sort of injector to provide the PoE side of things.

Are there other powerline devices that seem to be well suited? I know I can get a POE switch and run that, but the distances between where I'd like the cameras would really only benefit one of the camera to buy a POE switch.

there is nothing else i can really see in the price range that can do both POE and powerline. The simplicity is great. Do know that there is a limit to a number of cameras due to the bandwidth, i am unsure the exact bandwidth available with these, but i would guess around 85mbps.

That's a good point about the bandwidth, I'd be curious if I could run the four cameras that I'm considering.

Generally, you can run 1080p cams at 4Mbps and 720p cams at 2Mbps with no problem. Depending on the view, motion, and frame rate, you might be able to drop it even more with good results.

If these adapters will handle at least 20Mbps, you should be good with 4 cams.

I needed some powerline adapters for someone moving into an apartment, so I ordered a few Logitech powerline kits, figuring I'd test them for POE as well. Here's what I've found:

The basic Logitech Powerline adapters are not POE, but get good reviews as network adapters. Only the ones for use with the Alert cams are POE. Here's the breakdown:

NA200 powerline adapters - network only, same using is used for the device connection and the router bridge. Don't know if these work with the LA700 POE adapters.

LA700e powerline adapters - external camera adapter, network plus 7W POE, outdoor use

LA700i powerline adapters - internal camera adapter, network plus 4W POE, indoor use

NA750 powerline bridge - Bridge to router for LA700 POE adapters.

If anyone has info on whether the LA700 adapters work with the NA200 adapters, that would be very helpful!

I needed some powerline adapters for someone moving into an apartment, so I ordered a few Logitech powerline kits, figuring I'd test them for POE as well. Here's what I've found:

The basic Logitech Powerline adapters are not POE, but get good reviews as network adapters. Only the ones for use with the Alert cams are POE. Here's the breakdown:

NA200 powerline adapters - network only, same using is used for the device connection and the router bridge. Don't know if these work with the LA700 POE adapters.

LA700e powerline adapters - external camera adapter, network plus 7W POE, outdoor use

LA700i powerline adapters - internal camera adapter, network plus 4W POE, indoor use

NA750 powerline bridge - Bridge to router for LA700 POE adapters.

If anyone has info on whether the LA700 adapters work with the NA200 adapters, that would be very helpful!

the la700 can be used as a bridge as well. Any powerline adapter can be used as a bridge. They all follow the same standards, and the default powerline passwords are the same i believe.

Thanks. The instructions were specific about which one went where, including having color-coded network cables, probably due to the POE aspect.

Other posts indicated the NA750E bridge is essentially the same thing as the NA200; that is, a powerline adapter with no POE, but that's not an easy thing to verify.

I'll be hooking up several of the NA200s later today, but haven't picked up any LA700s yet.