toughman

Which LCD PC monitor do you use?

Currently I purchase PC packages from DELL for my surveillance system integration and they come with 17" DELL LCD monitors. However, the quality for my DVR application is not too good. One day, one of my customers used his Sony monitor to view the video through internet connection and the picture quality was very impressive. I plan to replace my LCD PC monitor to a better one. Can anyone give me some information on 17" flat LCD PC monitor?

Thanks!

We use Acer #AL1715 17" LCD's

They have never given us any problems and we are extremely satisfied with the quality and performance.

Oh, and is this for PC Based DVR's??

Cause your in the Stand Alone section of the Forum.

If your talking about Stand Alone DVR's and VGA outputs, thats a whole different story.

Thanks

CRT will always give you the best image, with LCDs and PC based its a gamble and not all are going to be great. With Analogue its a no contest, LCDs look horrible with Analogue Video (Composite). PC Based or Analogue, LCD or CRT, a "decent" CCTV CRT Monitor will always produce the best image quality.

So I guess the best choice is to connect the cams to the CRT CCTV monitor(s), then loop out into the DVR (if the CRT CCTV monitor has a loop out)? That way you get the best possible quality for 'Live Monitoring'. You can then use the LCD via VGA (or perhaps DVI - whatever the video card/LCD has) for 'Setup' only. Does this sound aboot right?

Also, I know that LCD's need/should be set to their native resolution to get the best quality. I just picked up a a Viewsonic VX924 19" LCD for the father. It is pretty decent, I just left it at its native res, then increased the font size in IE/Mozilla, and Windoze in general. Seems fine to me, it not used for CCTV use though.

Thats Correct, it is BNC Input on the CCTV Monitor, typically Input 1, for Live View of the Cameras only (no GUI) so you can use just a remote control and the operator wouldnt know it was a PC, and as a user account would not be able to view anything but live video.

While from the ATI Video card to the SVHS input on the CCTV Monitor, typically Input 3, is used for high quality playback. You can also loop out from the CCTV monitor for other forms of back up like VCR if they must have a tape. The Admin simply switches login to admin mode with the IR remote and goes to the SVHS input, and can use that for playback, full screen is nice.

SVHS... is that the same as S-Video? This Pan WV-CM1780 CRT I have has an S-Video in. Perhaps I should just keep it as it may come in useful, was going to sell it.

In regards to a 17" LCD monitor, I recommend either ViewSonic or Samsung. I find both very decent. I prefer ViewSonic's though. Acer's seem much cheaper price wise, but I prefer the others. I find DVI much better then VGA also, but that me. Also, need a decent video card to accommodate.

S-Video, yeah.

Believe it or not, a colleague here has used some Sharp LCDs and they are the best ive seen with Composite, on an LCD.

For what it's worth, Dell has a variety of flat panel monitors. I currently have several 1905FP models (DVI port, digital input) and have been pleased with their performance/price. The lower models (non-DVI) are not nearly as bright and crisp and I wouldn't recommend them. The 19" (1905FP) is currently on sale at dell for about $320 and I would recommend picking one up if you are in need. 3-year warranty included!

On another note, while you will typically get a better picture with a CRT, I have found that many customers prefer a flat panel for space. Many of these places have a small, cramped office and they are very happy to find out that we can offer them a flat pannel instead of a bulky CRT monitor.

What if...I have a standalone DVR that as no VGA out put but i use a AVLINK,game console to pc monitor adapter, RCA to VGA...will i have a good pic if i use a good lcd monitor.ViewSonic or Samsung?