Sign in to follow this  
touchton

New to the world of CCTV

I'm planning to install a CCTV system on our house. This looks like a good place to do some research and get questions answered. At this point I'm wanting a HD system with 8 cameras and a DVR. Thinking a Lorex system so far.

I'm in middle Tennessee, have a good bit of experience with electrical/electronic equipment, as well as computer/networking equipment. My biggest fear with this project is the ladder work required to mount and adjust the cameras.

I'll look around for a while and will most likely come back with some questions.

Thanks in advance for whatever assistance you can provide!

Thad

Some fear of ladders is good as it concentrates the mind on safety. I don't understand those people that want to mount every cameras as high as possible. Okay some cameras in some situations require a high up mounting but frankly mount a camera too high and all you see is the top of a shiny head. (or hood). Cameras should be able to take advantage of height but don't go mad as height is NOT always the answer. Just high enough to look over objects like cars, bushes, dumpsters etc.

Remember unless your camera will zoom like a PTZ and has quite a significant zoom ability, the higgher you go the further away you will be from your focal plane and the less detail you will see.

I see your point regarding camera height. In my case most of the cameras will be mounted under the eaves to the soffit. There are 3 cameras that will be mounted to the ceiling of covered porches, so they won't be very high. I'm limited by my access to run wiring to the cameras. The soffit mounted cameras will be for more general viewing; driveways, pool area, etc.

The cameras I'm looking at are not PTZ. They are HD bullet cameras. There's digital zoom and with HD that helps a little. I'm not interested in being able to see a penny on the driveway. I want to see what kind of car pulled into the driveway and on the porch cameras, who is at the door.

Thad

" title="Applause" /> " title="Applause" /> " title="Applause" /> " title="Applause" /> " title="Applause" /> " title="Applause" /> " title="Applause" /> " title="Applause" /> " title="Applause" />

I applaud you for coming into this with realistic expectations not with ideas of CSI super zoom.