Rooka

Hi, advice needed please

Hi, ok, can I firstly say I am totally new to the world of CCTV and have ZERO knowledge..... but I know what I want to do.

I live in the UK, and my home was recently burgled, and I have a feeling that they will be back to get the things they missed..... so this is what setup I had in mind....

I want to connect a camera (hopefully with a movement sensor) to my router, then let my router send the images over the internet to another location, where I want to record the images when movement is detected. (I want to capture the burgalar and him not be able to steal the recording equiptment)

what would you guys recommend? (or gals)

What cameras have a movement or PIR detector?

how can I send the images over the internet

How can I record them (yhinking of a dedicated recorder rather than a PC)

How would I view the images should I ever need to?

Hi Rooka, I am the supplier of CCTV camera in China, and I am not sure whether you will consider to buy from China.

I would like to answer your questions as follows:

If you need home surveillance, i would like to advise you to buy IP camera for home use, there is kind of IP camera that can connect the Internet directly, cause there is a CD together with the product, and all you need to do is to activate the software in the CD and install the software on your PC.

There are a lot of functions setting, like motion detection and recording functions etc.

If the camera has motion detection function, when there is someone getting in, the device will grasp a screenshot image, then send it to your email address. And you will see who enter your home.

When you choose to buy the samples, don't forget to ask the supplier whether the device gets the functions that you need, like motion detection.

Hope this advice will be helpful...Thanks...

You are overly paranoid that a burglar would steal your recording device but if you feel strongly about that, Dropcam may be your best bet. In the U.S. you can buy them at many stores, not sure of the UK, but worst case you can find it online. It costs $199USD and it's a pretty simple camera. You can view the camera remotely for free, but to record it's about $100/yr per camera and it records on their servers and you access the video through the internet. I'm sure your internet access speeds are far greater than what we get in the U.S., but you'll need about 2Mbps upload bandwidth to get 720P resolution at 30 frames per second.

A camera I personally use for this purpose is an AVTech AVN812 or AVN813. The reason is that when combined with a smartphone, it will notify you within 2-3 seconds of motion detection using it's built in PIR motion detector. When you tap on the notification, it will instantly start playing back the video with audio that was recorded at the time of the motion detection. You can also look at camera live and playback recordings (with an SD card in the AVN813). You can also use 2 way audio to listen to what's happening and even talk to the person. The reason I use this over Dropcam is having video to look at after the fact does not help much with stopping the crime in action. With instant notification, I can alert law enforcement and knowing there's a crime in progress will make them respond faster. Sort of like an alarm but with benefits.

As for recording devices, no reason you couldn't hide the recorder in an attic, under a bed, in a closet, on a bookshelf, behind a desk. The biggest problem with surveillance cameras is that you can't just have one. Once you've been bitten by the bug and keep coming back to the forum, you'll want more and more and with cloud storage, it's not practical to have multiple cameras as it's expensive and requires serious network bandwidth.

1. Pretty much every single CCTV camera that you'll be able to find will have the ability to detect motion. You're going to have a harder time finding one that doesn't have that feature. If you want more precise motion detection, you can tie PIR sensors into your system but it's probably not necessary at this point.

2. It's pretty much become the industry standard for DVRs to be accessible through the internet. Again, as long as you're buying from a reputable supplier, you won't have any problem finding a DVR with that feature.

3. You have options for recording based on the cameras you choose to go with but ultimately it's going to be easiest for you to just go with a standalone video recorder with the features you want.

4. Most DVRs will be able to accommodate remote viewing from any desktop, laptop, tablet and smartphone. Whether it's through software, internet browser, or app, you really should have multiple, if not all of these, options available to you.

Now, I don't know what this BS is about you being overly paranoid about someone stealing the video recorder, but if someone does steal it, you bought all of this equipment for nothing. Whether or not they know what they're looking at when they're robbing you, the fact is that it's a piece of electronic equipment and even stupid criminals will know it's worth money.

Bottom line, either hide the video recorder in a location they won't be able to easily find it, or invest in a DVR lock-box so they can't just walk out your front door with it.