JoshCCTV

What is the easiest way to scroll through video files?

Hello pros!! i've been messing with cctv now for 6 years. I'm kinda broke so I've been buying all of my own equipment, configuring and playing with. I've recently started buying chinese box cameras with varifocal lenses which i plan on configuring trying to grab facial shots at my location.

I previously had a cheap qsee 4 channel system which had i believe like 320 pixel cameras, which after I was vandalized, I upgraded to a 8 channel qsee 720 system.

Recently I've purchased the following off ebay.

(1) 16 channel 12v dc 10amp power supply

(1) box channel 720 high res cctv varifocal with a 5-60mm lens.

I'm working on setting up the varifocal lens on choke points.

I submitted some pictures

My question is the following.

1. the Qsee dvr software is crappy! do i have any options in traversing the dvr with a 3rd party application. For instance, searching through the video files SUCKS! is very SLOW! and can almost make you want to quit looking for the culprit that you know must be on video!

2. Would you recommend I continue to pursue the box camera setup for facial or skip it and go straight to an ip camera setup? I thought the cctv with proper lens in a choke point (30 feet

would be good.

Attached for your viewing pleasure

01.jpg.4b90eea1da3b546b5859d375412b67ad.jpg

02.jpg.ee543d4655fe27457718d2034ec9675b.jpg

03.jpg.4680a6e5a438774e798c251700fcdad7.jpg

More pictures...

Night pictures was of a vandal who had caused damage at night.. Since these footage I've added flood lights so night time visibility is better, but not sure what direction I should go to get better facial shots.

04.jpg.4377cc0aaae54d0f785da26cba30bb23.jpg

05.jpg.c9dd7e5126887bbcac44113969d12ff9.jpg

07.jpg.9e45222b1ce519ce71dccbf0cbc8492f.jpg

2. Would you recommend I continue to pursue the box camera setup for facial or skip it and go straight to an ip camera setup? I thought the cctv with proper lens in a choke point (30 feet

would be good.

You call 30 feet a choke point...??

would be good.

You call 30 feet a choke point...??

Ugh!! Ya guess not, any suggestions? What camera angle should I use for face shot and realistically what area would that cover?

I will just tell you unless the person is popular. Like someone you know or the police have run into a lot, a face shot might not help you. I got a clear face shot of a car burg and the police said it was very useful and clear but they never caught the kid.

They passed it around to all officers and neighboring police

Ran the image through facial recognition of all Driver licenses, gun cards, id cards, etc

Give the image to school lesion officers

Even made it into the news paper

The kid was NEVER caught couldnt ID him.

But you might have better results. From my experience the kid just so happened to walk past a zoomed in image.

Heres a scenario-

Wide angle shot- police come see a blurry figure approach a car slit the tire and take off. the officer makes sure to note in the report that he had a head two feet and two arms and maybe a face.

Close shot on one car, the vandal just so happens to go to that one car that the camera is zoomed on and bam its such a clear zoomed in shot, the vandal asks if he can use it for a profile pic pays your a royalty. and it gets him caught.

Now I just want to say I do have a lot of wide angle shots so I dont follow my own advise. Just know that lawyers will argue that the image is not of the suspect if its not 100% clear, so make sure its a useful shot. Perhaps position the cars so that he must pass a close zoomed in shot of his or maybe her face. From my experience these bad boys in our area dont mind motion lights and will take there time sliting tires and keying cars.

Ya your right. The police can barely do jack with the footage. It's more for me to pick out the people and profile them for future incidents and detection. I'm just not sure if cctv with varifocal lenses or digital is the way to go for facial shots. What do you think?